Some serious freakin' runoff!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, May 13, 2013.

1. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,108 / 0
    This time of year I am checking the level of the St Joe and the NFCDA every morning when I open up my computer. Once the St Joe reaches 2700cfs I'll put my van in gear and beat feet over there. The water will still be a little high but wadeable and the crowds won't have settled in yet. Depending on the year that can happen between early June to mid July.

This year is different. For the 94 years that they have been keeping records on the Joe, today's date-May 13-the river averages 7,000 cfs. Today it is running 7,000 cfs more than that at 14,000 cfs! Clearly the runoff is much earlier than usual and given the not too heavy snowpack the water will be gone earlier too. This doesn't bode well for water levels throughout the area come late summer.

Join me in a rain dance about mid July.

Ive
  2. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,337 / 0
    My favorite small river doesn't usually start runoff really until May most years. In fact you can usually get some good days in after the May1 opener before runoff even begins. This year runoff is already tapering off, March seeing the highwater begin. It will be wadable this week I think, though still a little dirty.
  3. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +240 / 0
    I am getting tired of living in smoke every September.
  4. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +791 / 1
    judas-priest that's a lot of water...let's hope we get a couple shots of cooler weather in that watershed before the season is in full swing.
  5. John Read New Member

Moscow, Id
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Check the flows for June 1 of 1997.
    21,600 cfs at Calder.
    A friend and I drove up the river on opening day just to look.
    At the Gold Creek bridge, the water was about 2 ft short of hitting the bridge and we measured the water temp at 36 degrees.
  6. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    Don't know what it is on the Wenatchee around here, but it's haulin` ass downriver, along with the usual weekend rubber hatch.
  7. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    No kidding, the NF of the Clearwater touched in at 20,000 yesterday!
  8. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    sky was at 20,000 cfs, looks like i wont be floating it for awhile
  9. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    The Yakima is doing her thing too. Ringer Road is flooded over above the launch ramp parking and in the upper parking the water is halfway to the lot.
  10. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,722 / 0
    Am I ever glad that I'm not living in a flood zone. I don't even worry about high water anymore.