Some Stillwater Firsts!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Golden Trout, May 10, 2013.

1. First time I headed to my favorite lake before Memorial day. This lake sits near 4000 ft and the surface temp is another first "66.4 degrees"! Usually go to this lake when the others get to warm. Up until this morning has been a 40-year old reliable. Not any more, not a single strike; which is another first. Several years ago after ice-breaking my way to open water in late November I caught only 2 or 3 fish. That low-fish day is no history.

I will probably not go back to Aeneas because I finally caught 1 fish that was deformed to the point its body was shaped like a "Z". I know, everyone else catches lots of vibrant fish. I will try Blue one more time tomorrow after last Saturday's poor fishing for mostly dinks and hold-over fish that looked kind of like the snakeheads I saw caught in Tailand.

If the temp at 4,000 ft is already 66.4, I can imagine what lower elevation lakes are like. It has been low to mid 90s for most of the week with more of the same for at least two more days.

I am glad that we have a few April 1 openers that offer fair fishing.

2. Aeneas is heating up fast. Already noticing the fishing has slowed from a week and a half ago. Water surface temp was 68 2 days ago. Didn't check today. We need some cooler weather.

3. Yeah, I went to a local lake a few weeks ago, and it was already turning over!

Something else that is an indicator of the early warmer weather, is that those big black Carpenter ants coming out everywhere.