Some wynoochee lovin please

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Evan Virnoche, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +492 / 0
    Would someone be willing to give some recommendations through pm's? I talk to one of my sources and he recommended save creek to either high bridge or white bridge I cant remember tho.

I will be floating in a scadden assult all by my lonesome. I will be camping this weekend in ocean shores with my family.

or if anyone would be willing to meet up around the area and go fish some streams.
  2. Benjy Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    I would recommend going somewhere else. All of the trees along the Nooch look like Christmas trees as they are literally covered with gear. Covered. You may launch your boat with the feeling that its going to be a peaceful day with little traffic on the water. Within a mile or two you will discover that there are dozens of private put ins that every asshole in south puget sound has permission to use.
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,391 / 0
    Save Ck to White Bridge is a longgggg float. It's a long float 12 - 13 miles from Save Ck to the 7400 bridge, then another 12 or 13 from 7400 to White Bridge. You can't fish from a boat in the Save Ck to 7400 stretch, unless WDFW changed it; it had been proposed, so that reach gets less pressure from boats.

Sg
  4. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +344 / 16
    In the last two years the pressure on that river has tripled. Last time I floated it with my buddy James it was literally a conveyor belt of boats relentlessly pounding each hole. I haven't fished there this season for exactly that reason.
  5. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +492 / 0
    Well any sea run reccomendations
  6. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +344 / 16
    Next time we link up ill give you Les Johnson's book. Tons of info on tactics and locations. Gig Harbor fly shop has some info on thier website as well.
  7. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +574 / 5
    No, It's about the same. Been that way for the last decade.
  8. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +150 / 1
    The Cowlitz this time of year is starting to get some good sea run activity. There will be a few other boats on the water but they will not be focusing on the same water as you, as they will be focused on Steelhead.

BTW always be ready to have a heavy pull on that line. ;)
  9. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    Lemme think about this and maybe I'll get some ideas. Its still a bit early for searuns, but a few have been showing up here and there.
    I am not familiar with the cutthroat creeks on the coast N of Ocean Shores, or I'd pm you some tips.

One strategy that might work, if the tide timing is OK: You might be able to fish the upper tidewater stretches of some of the streams by floating upstream from a launch with the incoming tide, going as high as you can with the high tide push, and then fishing your way back downstream to your put in.
    However, looking at the tide guide, the highs are either predawn or right at dawn, or very late in the afternoon. By the time the afternoon high tide changes and starts running back out, you wouldn't have much time to fish. Mornings might work, if you launch as soon as you can see. You'd be able to make it upstream a ways before the outgoing current picked up. Its easy for me in my hybrid canoe, but I'm not sure how your Scadden Assault would work for that.

You could explore Joe Creek or the Copalis River for cutthroat.

Maybe just hiking and wading a stream would be better. The Humptulips might have a fish or two in it.
    BASS_TURDS likes this.
  10. David Bowerman Member

Richmond Beach, WA
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I can vouch for the sea runs in the Cowlitz: I bumped a few of them recently on the swing. One about 15" hit so hard I couldn't believe it wasn't chrome.