Something about moving water, rising trout, a cold sunny morning...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by formerguide, Mar 27, 2013.

1. formerguide

formerguide Active Member

Driving back to Salt Lake City this morning from WY. Just a beautiful, cold but sun-filled few hours, still and calm, listnening to some Corrine Bailey Rae on my iPod. Long week of work already, more trying than I'd care to admit, but nonetheless necesarry.

Coming down into the valley off of I-80 before you get to Park City, there's a little meadow stream that meanders alongside the road intermittently for, oh, maybe 6 miles or so. I've often wondered about it, it looks fishy in the way thay almost all water does from a distance, though I've seen people fishing it over the years from time-to-time. Given my lack of hurry to return to Salt Lake, and with nothing pressing, I pulled off of the interstate to take a look at the water.

Immediately after pulling off, I see a parked SUV of some type, complete with bumper stickers from Simms and Patagonia and Smith, so I know there must be something here to see. I pull off, throw my laptop in my backpack, and start hiking, just to see what I can see. This is clearly a fishery of some note, complete with signs instructing anglers of species limits, artificial lures only restrictions, and asking all to pack out what they bring.

And so, here, in the middle of the lands between the mountains and the high desert, I eventually find myself standing on a cattle bridge, staring down at a few small trout finning in the slow water below a little riffle. There are 5 or 6 fish at any given time, holding in their lanes, with one or two of the fish edging sideways to intercept some unseen food bit, the whites of their mouths giving them away. After a short time, a few fish rise at the tail of the long pool below the bridge, and though I see nothing from my height above the water, I assume that these fish are eating midges of some type, and I see a few small bugs in the air near me.

Moving water is always, well, so moving, isn't it? There is simply something so inviting about a sunny morning, watching fish in their habitat, unmolested and unaware of my presence. I think about things in a different manner here, alone on the water, unencumbered by thoughts of work or finances or other pressures. I find myself thinking a lot about what it means to be a parent, and what we wish and desire for our children. We want, of course, the best for them, and by that, I don't mean tangible goods or things of privelege, but rather we want them to be productive and independent and happy and content. It's not always easy, being a parent. SItting here, I find myself thankful for all that I have, yet scared of the future for my son, praying for his health and happiness, and something in me felt the need to write this down, to share so that I do not become overburdened.

So, anyway, cool little stream, I don't even know it's name. I suppose I could look it up, but I think I will let it be anonymous in my head.

Dan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Media:
    I'd hit that.

Kyle McCurdy and formerguide like this.
  3. Rob Hardman

Rob Hardman Active Member

I sure enjoy reading your posts. If there were ever a WFF meet in the Seattle/Tacoma area, you're on the short list of guys I'd like to have a drink and a cigar with.
    Cheers
    Rob

formerguide likes this.
  4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    formerguide--

I thoroughly enjoy your posts! Thanks for the pleasant thoughts.

formerguide likes this.
  5. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

That post had a very pleasant & calming approach. Thank you for sitting down and sharing your ponderings on life and how you see it. This is the best post I have read in a while.

I can picture myself sitting at the edge of that stream doing just that. Blis.

formerguide likes this.
  6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Isn't that the Weber that runs through there? If so, it is a good trout stream.

Sg

formerguide likes this.
  7. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    I think I can speak for everyone who enjoys your surreal and uplifting posts. I had to stop halfway through the story, I had to pause and have a moment. I just knew it was going to get better and have a picture at the end to prove it. I would happy to be invited on that drink.

formerguide likes this.
  8. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Dan, if you're up in Seattle bunch with your boy, take him on a twilight field trip to Greenlake. Right now, and maybe for another week or so there are thousands of trout circling the rowing club docks, throw something with marabou, let him reel em in...It's not a as pretty as that stream, but watching him groove with a fish on the line might give you some piece of mind in a different way...

formerguide likes this.
  9. Josh Stroud

Josh Stroud Active Member

Great post Dan, thanks for sharing. I love small streams like that, heck I almost felt like I was there the way you described it!

formerguide likes this.
  10. formerguide

formerguide Active Member

I just may do that, thanks for the kind suggestion. Will be certain to let you know if we do.

Dan

11. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Nice post, Dan. I know that road and that stream, having driven by it many times in the past, when, like your other times, I've been hurrying to get to SLC, or back to Wyoming. Thanks for telling me what you found when you took the time to pause and look more closely.
    Dick

formerguide and Kent Lufkin like this.
  12. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Dan, your post was a touching reminder of all that we reap from our time on the water. Our success as fishermen isn't only measured by the numbers and size of the fish we catch, but also by the perspective we gain as we stand apart from our daily routines and cares, even if only for a few hours. Thanks for sharing.

K

Richard Olmstead and formerguide like this.