Something new to ponder.

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Olive bugger, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    Could this be coming to a river near you?

2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,561 / 0
    Great. Another invasive species. It's always something.

I suppose some idiot will start illegally planting those things in trout lakes as they have bass.
  3. Eric B Montana hillbilly

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I thought it was interesting when they had the chef in Louisiana talking about eating these fish and he was impressed with the texture & taste. If they could find a market for theses fish for consumption, it would be really cool for those commercial fishermen.

I know that they are eaten in other parts of the world, but most people in the U.S. have such a bad opinion of the name carp (as trash fish) that most people won't give it a chance. I'm curious how they will market it or if they will just use the fish for things like cosmetics/supplements/fertilizer, etc. It was an interesting video for sure and I think that in that part of the country it would be worth following the topic to see if it catches on in different states.
  4. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I guess the word snakehead got out it was very tasty, you can hardly catch one anymore
  5. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Finding a market with little or no restrictions on catching them, could mean that they could be reduced in numbers. I doubt that we will ever be rid of them completely.

Those that introduce these invasive species should by punished but how does one catch them?
  6. rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

Brownsville Oregon
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    I believe they feed on zooplankton which of course is the beginning of the food chain. They consume it all and move on thus leaving the native fish depleted or gone. There is one outfit catching these damned things for fertilizer, tons and tons of them, but they say it is only making a small dent in the population. It's serious situation>
  7. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Do we have any information on their breeding habits and weaknesses?
    Being in the river systems and larger lakes is not a good sigm.