Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you... A trip report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by formerguide, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Talk about both ends of the stick on my work trip this week. Started out doing some work out at Hanford on Sun, not exactly the nicest place to be. Since I needed to be in Billings later this week, drove over to Spokane for the night. Stayed at this lousy Holiday Inn Express, on top of a big hill and under construction... Got in late Sun, wanted a bite to eat. Yelp indicated a decent burger joint was just across the street. Go outside, I can actually see it from the parking lot, at the bottom of a steep little cliff. So, walk all the way around, back down the parking lot and around the block. No big deal, my fat ass could certainly use the exercise. Alas, Sun, the joint is closed. I'm getting pretty hungry at this point, and I can see a pseudo-trail back up to the hotel from where I am, figure, what the heck, if I was fishing I wouldn't think twice about it.

So, scramble up the hill, it's stepper than it looks. Slip, tear my slacks, scuff my new loafers, I'm huffing and puffing and sweating like Chris Farley at a track meet. Finally get to the top, I'm swearing about my pants, and look up. There's a Japanese family getting out of their car, obviously taken aback my my sudden appearance from out of the brush, swearing like a sailor. The Dad says something I can't tell, starts waving at his wife and kids to get back in the car. I try to say something to them, start coughing, they actually sit there and lock their doors. Oh well...

[​IMG]

The next day, end up over in Bozeman. Get to see one of my oldest friends. We fish an evening on one of my favorite little moutain creeks, sharing a rod, fishing a trude. Trade fish (every other fish, or two missed strikes means a rod swap.) Great time, easy fishing, relaxing as all hell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caught lots of these
    [​IMG]

This morning, got on some pretty cool water, caught some pretty nice bows. Just a nice way to spend a morning while away from home on a trip, good times, thought I'd share. Business travel, I guess it can go both ways, eh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan

2. That was really funny, too bad you didn't have your shirt off, they might have thrown you a cookie or something.

Great fish, too, by the way. Well done.

triploidjunkie and formerguide like this.
  3. Good report! What's with flyfishermen masquerading as homeless people these days, scaring tourists. Gonna give the sport a bad name;)

4. Great report and funny story, thanks for sharing.

formerguide likes this.
  5. i like it, i like the tourist story a lot. Great fish.

formerguide likes this.
  6. It seemed to have ended well for you. The poor family may have thought were a Jack Link's Sasquatch.

formerguide likes this.
  7. Wow...nice report....not only the fish but....just to realize maybe others have those days to!!
    Thanks for the pics....pretty fish!

8. Like that visual right there, at least your entrance was dramatic..

formerguide likes this.
  9. Great story and awesome fish! Thanks for sharing.

formerguide likes this.
  10. Love it, and I needed a laugh. Thanks. You ought to contact Holiday Inn Express--it would give a new twist to their commercials.

formerguide likes this.
  11. Did you say scuffed your loafers?

12. Haha! got me there sir...

My work attire runs in polar opposites. Usually in the field it's steel toed or sometimes metatarsal boots, FRC and standard PPE. When I'm traveling, I wear (ahem) Gucci or Cole Haans, occasionally a pair of Ferragamos, lean towards khakis and button downed. Cough, cough...

Dan

13. cough cough.. patagucci waders..

formerguide likes this.
  14. A good read. Nice photos. Had me laughing love the Chris Farley analogy.

Looks like a nice cast. I see you're not of the "elbow in" school... feel it in your shoulder? :)

15. Elbow in really limits your ability to do aerial mends, I don't use it or teach it.
    jesse