Sore muscles...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by stflr, Sep 17, 2008.

1. stflr priorities?

seattle washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey,

I'm about a week in fishing a two-handed rod, and have been at it pretty aggressively. I was wondering if it's normal for my left trap (I'm right-handed) to burn after a few hours of casting. The sensation can get fairly intense, which leads me to believe that there's something wrong in my technique. Perhaps I'm too tight on my forward cast? Or, is this just strain on a muscle group that hasn't gotten much attention in the past?

Cheers,

stflr
  2. the_trout_bum ifish

Ellensburg, WA
    getting sore isnt unusual after a solid day, but if its a real intense pain, something might be funky. a HUGE deal that my "spey mentors" really ingrained on my casting patterns, is to NOT overpower the rod. the rod should be doing 90% of the work, youre just there to "lay down the rules". if your movement, timing, and rhythm are all in sync, the rod should be taking care of the rest of the business. when i started off in the world of spey casting i was definately victim to this, i thought that in order to wail all of that line out there, that i was going to have to work really hard. NOT THE CASE. i soon learned that slowing down, thinking about what i was doing more, and letting the anchor point stick, the d loop form, allllllllll before i started the motions for a foward cast.
    rent the video "spey to z", they go over all three styles of spey casting and cover almost all the casts, and really break it down to where you can understand each individual movement, especially slowing down and not overpowering the rod.

hope this helps! best of luck

waterside,

the trout bum
  3. stflr priorities?

seattle washington
    I appreciate the input. It makes sense to me, at least, that the pain would stem from poor technique. As for the video, I actually watched it again for a 2nd time today after coming home from the river. I then went to a dock near my apt. and focused on placing my anchor. I'll be heading out tomorrow at first light to see if the practice holds up on moving water.

Thanks again for your thoughts,

stflr