sore shoulders and spey rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Leroy Laviolet, Nov 12, 2010.

1. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Just man up, drink some scotch (or whatever is your drink of choice), take painkillers and go fish! Better living through chemistry!

Okay, seriously, take some casting instruction... you probably shouldn't be working as hard. Unless you're casting a 15' rod with a long belly and beating yourself up like I do every once in a while!

2. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    I did give more than passing thought to this thread, and something else occurred to me yesterday that makes all the difference in the world...

Balanced Tackle.
    The better you get at casting, the faster you can tell if an outfit is optimized. You can get real tired real fast, even casting with good technique, with an underweight longbelly, a scandi head that's too long, etc. because of the unnnatural little compensatory movements that it takes to get a decent cast out. Good casters can do this for awhile, but nobody's a superman.

This is why there's a big box of lines in my mancave, and why I have particular reels I'll use with particular rods. I'm always fiddling about trying to improve the rod/line match, and the Spaz/outfit/conditions match.
    It all adds up to nicer days on the river.

3. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    Well, now that we morphed from What exercises to why , here's a pearl or two that helped me recently-
    Though Iv'e yet to be to the "Panhandle's school of professional speeey casting, by an internet superstar" class... I here first weeks tuition is turning in a lufkin to him that starts at 12" ....:rofl::rofl::rofl: BTW, I told you great fish man, wish I had one like that, someday...:thumb::thumb::thumb:
    I'm a decent/average caster . I have solved some issues lately, By going with some Mortensons suggestions. For me, keeping the elbow tight to my side really is the key. This causes me to swivel my hips and create the energy from my trunk . Also, not sure why, but I notice it in my bicept, not in my shoulder or elbow. This is a good thing, and Bicepts are much tougher than the other two. I was shocked at to how much power is generated by making this small adjustment, Distance was still good- Makes basic sense to me , leverage is created buy keeping in close, not extended out away from the base.
    Good discussion....

4. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Tried these last night. The straight arm raises were OK, but can't figure out how to do the shoulder rotations without spilling beer. Guess I just need more practice.

5. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Media:
    Tight Like A Tiger!! Keep it Tight!

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Leroy, I should be over there this week. I'll even bring my magic measuring tape. Adds, roughly, an inch to every inch. I like the metric system too, so I made a tape that combines the best of both continents.

7. Leroy Laviolet

Media:
    I like the way ya think Pan! :thumb:
    Idn't it gett'n a bit late to maraud them poor old inland fish??:rofl:

8. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    No, not until December 21st.

9. Leroy Laviolet

Media:
    Shweet, we got more time ! I'm not gonna tell you when I'm fishing in Febuary, juss gonna keep it in my closet !:rofl:
    You headed oversees for a few months on the 21st of dec er what??

10. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    No that's just my arbitrary deadline for when the fish are no longer suitable for fishing. :ray1:

11. Leroy Laviolet

Media:
    I respect that, abide by it, nope, but respect it yes....:thumb:

12. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

13. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Another thing to keep in mind. Lessons help, but unless you practice, it won't stick. Getting out and doing 15-30 minutes of casting a couple of times a week will help strengthen those muscles as well and help you get more efficient at casting. The idea of letting the rod do the work is spot on, but unless you know how it looks and how it feels, it'll be like chasing a unicorn.

14. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'd been thinking about asking this forum the same thing. By the second day of lots of casting, I sometimes feel a little sore knot between the right scapula and the vertebra.

The new wife started me going to Body Pump at the Yakima AC a couple years ago, and now I'm more into it than she is. For shoulders, we do push ups, forward raises, lateral raises, arnold presses, up right rows, inclined rows, overhead presses, and mac raises. It's made me a stronger caster, but still needed to find something more targeted on the area that gets tired. I like the looks of some of those on the Throwers Ten PDF like the Diagonal Pattern Extension and Flexion. And maybe that 4. Scaption, external rotation.

15. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

I use the force now to send the line out in any direction. My shoulders or any casting muscle are useless to me now.

16. Leroy Laviolet

Media:
    Thanks to Stew, as I'm not alone in hearing voices, avoiding the dark side, and questioning everything that seems normal in life these days... :)

17. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

You should get yourself a Shakeweight......:rofl:.....:thumb:

18. hjbigrapids

hjbigrapids New Member

Media:
    Big Rapids, MI, Olympic Peninsula, Seattle
    Row a driftboat 10 hours a day for 300 days of the year........ It is amazing how it helps your shoulders......

19. Leroy Laviolet

Media:
  20. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    For what it's worth, guys, some of you know I have completely collapsed arches, and some serious amount of pain in both feet. Her Ladyship, partly in response to a continuing ed. requirement for RN's, found a book by a physical therapist named Pete Egoscue. The book's called "Pain Free" and consists of gentle stretching and flexibility exercises, coupled with some toning work. After a week's worth of doing the exercises I'm pretty much pain free, and can walk, hike, and fish without taking a shitload of pain meds washed down with a bottle of scotch-well, I'd still wash down the scotch:rofl::rofl: