Source for cork rings

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Stonefish, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Anyone have suggestions for a good cork ring source?
    These don't need to be great quality and cheaper $$$ the better. I'm looking for individual rings in various sizes if possible.
    These won't be used for rod building.
    I want to make some cork floats for a gear fishing buddy of mine. He is down to his last two cork floats, which are an older canadian syle that are no longer being made.
    Thanks,
    Brian
  2. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +72 / 3
    Brian,

I suggest you check with Jim Britt at Anglers Workshop in Woodland. He's a real expert on cork, and they carry all sizes and grades.

Tom
  3. Fly Or Die The King

Oregon
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    One of the cheapest places to get good quality cork rings is www.donartrods.com. They cost 30 cents because they come without the center hole. You might also want to try sewing and hobby stores. Joan’s by my location carries multiple sizes of cork in bags for about 2 bucks. But, since you live in space you might want to go fedex. LOL
  4. Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Ukiah, CA but moving to Spokane
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    You also might try using round Balsa wood dowels. They come in 1/2 and 3/4 inch by 36" lengths. More durable and float as well, if not better than cork. Google will reveal a source.
  5. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  6. Jake Smulkowski Throwing hoppers into baetis falls

Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I just ordered 100 of the cork rings from Donart and am very happy with the quality. Half were excellent, the other half were fair to good. Now to build a jig to accurately drill those holes.
  7. wes.faul New Member

Napavine, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    We actually have some pieces of cork that are the last 1.5-2" off of a rear grip that another employee has been using for making cork bobbers. I can double-check on monday on the specs and prices, but I think we're selling them for $.25 each.