Sourdough biscuit recipe?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Achilles, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Achilles Member

Washington
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I'd like to start by saying that some of the recipes on WFF are outstanding; not the information one typically seeks out on a fly fishing forum. You guys and gals are awesome. Especially that biscuits and gravy post.. that was epic.

Anyway, please post recipes/ideas on how to produce the best sourdough biscuits. I've made mine from a rye starter but wondering if others have been successful? Any help with a light fluffy biscuit would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
    Achilles
  2. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +886 / 0
    I'm truly the "black thumb" when it comes to sourdough starter-there's no recipe for that I can't totally screw up!
  3. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,069 / 0
    For a light fluffy biscuit good ole' buttermilk biscuits are hard to beat. I can understand the desire for sourdough but it is kind of a bother to get them right. Here are some tips for general biscuit making that might help with your sourdough although it may not all apply to sourdough.

Get the best flour you can find and use it fresh. Flour can be frozen to extend it's life so don't be afraid to put it in the freezer if you are not using it. King Arthur unbleached all purpose makes a good biscuit, my favorite is Bob's Red Mill unbleached all purpose.

Use fresh baking powder and fresh baking soda where required. Don't use stuff that has been in the pantry for months.

Whisk the dry ingredients well, too often they are given a couple of swirls with a wisk and don't get thoroughly mixed.

Use refrigerated shortening and cold buttermilk for the mix.

Mix sparingly and don't overwork the dough. Too much kneading will make a tough dense biscuit that is better for skeet shooting than eating.

Find a temperature and a baking time that produces a perfect biscuit, write it down and stick with it. That will prevent future batches from being too done or not done enough. You want them just right time after time.

Add butter and honey and enjoy.

Ive
  4. Achilles Member

Washington
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Thanks, guys. In case you're interested in acquiring a free sourdough started yeast check out Carl's free sourdough starter. It's a nice story and history.

http://carlsfriends.net/

Or google "Carl's sourdough" and you'll find the link

Best,
  5. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    I started a 'starter batch' tonight.
    More to report in a couple of days.
    Just started making homemade bread this year; yesterday's loaf came out like a giant croissant. My best yet. Now for the last improvement I can imagine.....sourdough!
    :)