Sourdough starter???

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by bitterroot, Apr 7, 2010.

1. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    I've always been interested in getting a sourdough starter going and I ran across a nice starter kit from King Arthur Flour that includes a starter and crock. Anybody else out there have a sourdough starter that you keep going? Is it a pain in the A$$ and will I regret ever doing this?

Lonnie
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +664 / 5
    It's great Lonnie and I used to keep a starter. Sometimes you forget about it. Have had it accidentally tossed out a few times. I love fresh sourdough though. I can get my recipe out if you want to try it. I used one out of Cee Dubs books. I've been tempted to make another starter. I can't really truly say how much I do LOVE it. It's by far my favorite bread and rolls. Been tempted to try the sourdough pancakes, heard it's FANTASTIC!!!!
  3. Jake Dixon Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Jerry, I'd take your recipe if you are willing to share.
  4. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Sure, I'll have to dig it out. I'll post it in a bit.
  5. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,033 / 0
    That King Arthur flour is some good stuff but we have a helluva time finding it. We looked again today with no luck but did find 50# of hard wheat baking flour.

A sourdough starter is a little like owning a pet. It has to be fed and maintained to be effective. Some areas don't lend themselves to sourdough starters and I live in one of them. The forest environment doesn't seem to work out and it seems coastal areas are a little more accommodating to blooming starters.

Try it out, it doesn't take much to get one going. If it doesn't work flush it and start over.

Fear no kitchen.

Ive
  6. Jim Henderson Member

bainbridge island
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Lonnie,
    I have a sourdough starter that supposedly originated in Alaska about 150 years ago. This batch came out of Eek, a small native village in the lower Kuskokwim delta. I keep it refrigerated and feed it about every two weeks - two parts flour one part water. Feeding involves letting it come to room temperature, discarding about half if it has not been used, mixing in the flour/water, letting it sit and "work" for a few hours, then back into the refrigerator. It lives in a quart Tupperware container with lid. Typically feed it unbleached white flour.
    I usually take about two cups of starter with me when I head east to fish for a week.
    My favorite pancake recipe - makes enough for three hungry fly fisherman:
    1 cup sourdough starter
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup flour
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 cup milk
    3 tablespoons melter butter
    Makes thin pancakes. If you like your pancakes thick, add more flour and substitute baking soda for baking powder.

Jim H
  7. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    150 years old? Now that's cool! It doesn't sound like too much trouble either. There's just something mysterious about keeping a sourdough starter. I think I'm gonna go for it!
    And Jim, those pancakes sound awesome! Ironically, I like thin pancakes! I guess the same starter is appropriate for breads, biscuits, etc.?

Lonnie
  8. Jim Henderson Member

bainbridge island
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I checked with my sourdough expert (daughter who lives in Alaska) about bread and she reported the following:
    Combine -
    1 cup sourdough starter
    1 cup flour
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 teaspoon yeast - optional
    Mix and let sit overnight
    Next day add -
    1 1/2 - 2 cups flour
    kneed to desired consistency
    proof, shape, bake
    Makes 1 standard loaf
  9. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Yeah, I need to find where i put that recipe at.

Yeah, it's cool having an old starter. Most of those starters down in San Francisco are from the original starts they did when the companies opened. They keep those things more secure then their money vaults. LOL.
  10. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    What's the starter recipe
  11. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    I have it buried in my garage. Tried to find it, but couldn't. Think it may be in my man cave (have some stuff in the back room of it until i get it finished). Will go look in there tomorrow for it.
  12. fodf Team Umiak

In my happy place.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Lonnie,
    I'm going online right now to fetch that crock/starter combo. Sounds like a cool combo. I too like a a skinny pancake. Let me know how yours works out.
    Eric
  13. EJO Member

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Ive got a sourdough starter that was given to me from my uncle that was given to him by a close family friend that is supposedly over 40 years old. It is the starter that we use for pancakes every year at our brant club. It is very easy to take care of. I have 2 others as well. one is from italy and was given to me from my brother, and another is one that I made with just flour and water and let it sit open for a couple of days to collect yeast spores that are in the air. it is done when it is bubbly and has a smell similar to paint. if it sits for a while, all you have to do is spoon 2/3rds out and replace with equal parts flour and water. if you want i can post the sourdough start recipe.
  14. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Eric (Electric), I have not yet purchased the King Arthur kit so you will have to tell ME how it works out!

EJO, yes, please post up your recipe. There seems to be a little interest in this subject and the more info the better.

Lonnie
  15. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    I found my recipe. Funny, it's pretty much like EJO's. Flour and water. You want the natural spores outside to get it. I have to take my Mother in Law to the airport, but will post it when I come back. Can give you some do's and don'ts. But knew there were a few things you have to do to insure a good start.
  16. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ok, start with a couple cups of good bread flour (DON'T use self rising flour, it'll impeded the process). Add a couple cups of warm water. Use a glass, ceramic, or plastic bowl to mix it. A metal bowl can inhibit the process as well. Now, whisk it together, trying to put as much air into the mix as possible. Now's the easy part. Put a piece of cheese cloth over the mix, and let it sit out. Preferably somewhere warm and outside. The natural pores outside makes the sourdough. Now, if by chance it's cold outside, you can do it inside. BUT, if you have one of those home filtration systems, it'll inhibit the starter as well. The natural spores outside is what makes the sourdough. In a couple days, you should notice the dough starting to bubble. That's the wild spores feeding on the dough. Once that happens, feed it with another cup of flour and warm water. Let it sit a couple more days. When more bubbles form you can test it at that point. Pull a teaspoon of starter out and stir with a little baking soda. If it foarms up you have an active starter. Just remember, the warmer it is, the faster the spores will create your starter.

One side note, don't use chlorinated water. Try to use well or bottled. You'll be better results. Once your starter is done store it in your fridge (can freeze, but hard to reactivate the spores/bacteria once you've frozen it). Periodically refeed it (flour and water). Some people keep two starters going, one for taking out in the field, one to keep at home.

Think that's about it scaled down. :)
  17. Annie Rutherford Washington Native

Haristene Isl. Wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Wow I had no idea about any starter. I just learned about whole new thing. A pet you only have to feed every two weeks, amazing. And you can get these starters that are decade’s old, wow.