South-end lakes

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by wannafish, Jan 21, 2007.

1. wannafish

wannafish In search of Blinky...

I haven't fly-fished much this winter as I'm still a gear-fishing steelheader (due to my skill/success with that -hard enough to catch as it is - and no finances to get heavier fly gear). Just to keep my casting skills up, I'd like to find a south end lake that might give me a chance at catching a trout this time of year. I probably need to get to Pass or somewhere, but I'd like to find somewhere closer to home (near Tacoma). I'd appreciate any help or advice on the few year-round lakes around here!

Thanks!

2. Go fish SRCs and Silvers in the sound! Check out the salt forum!

3. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Member

wannafish--
    Finding "practice water", fresh or salt, in the Tacoma area is no problem... I don't know where you live, but several come to mind without a lot of thought: American Lake, Steilacoom Lake, Spanaway Lake, Nisqually River, Puyallup River, The Sound, to name just a few. There are many small neighborhood waters also, such as Wapato and Waughop, in the south end. Most of them offer a decent chance to catch a fish or two.

Come on out to Puget Sound Fly Fishing club meetings on the 2nd Thursday of the month for lots of other good ideas. We meet at the Tacoma Elks Club, (off Union & 19th). Social hour starts at 6:00, with optional buffet dinner at 7:00, followed by speaker/presentation, and gear raffel. In addition to knowledgeable flyfishers--men and women--the club has a great library of DVD's, Video's, and books for members use. Check it out...