South Puget Sound Duck Hunting....

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Benjy, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Media:
    So I have lived here for 1.5 years now and with all the constraints on my free time I almost forgot that duck hunting is my favorite thing in the world to do. I have been training my dog daily, and starting to feel like I am only doing that to get her exercise because I haven't even gone scouting once and the season starts tomorrow. My duck hunting is in a downward spiral and part of that if because I don't know very many people around here who are into it. So, if you're looking for someone to sit in the duck blind with and shoot the shit about fishing and whack a duck or two, I am that guy. I have a little duck boat and a shitload of decoys. I even have some spots but it's hard to put all the energy into a mission to kill 7 ducks, now 14 ducks or 21 ducks- different story. I live in Tacoma.

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Benjy, If I didn't live up in the north end I'd take you up on that offer. I've been wanting to learn more about duck hunting without paying big bucks for guided hunts. Guides seem too busy to sit and talk about dekes, set ups, dogs, etc. They want to call 'em in and yell "kill 'em". Not my cup of tea, I have a more reserved approach to taking game. I hope you find a worthy partner to share the blind with.

3. Islander

Islander Steve

Hmmmm.....maybe if we carpool.:rolleyes:

4. Mike Munro

Mike Munro Member

I'm going duck hunting for the first time in a couple of weeks with a guide, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it. I've been shooting clays for a couple of years, but I'm a novice when it comes to the real deal. So if you don't mind sharing a bit of field knowledge and answering a few questions along the way, I'd be happy to help beef up the count! ;)

5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    We need a duck club! I've been in the blind since I was 4, hunted `em since I was 8, so a total of 60 years of duck hunting experience, minus the time I was hunting Charlie. I need the "skinny" on where to go and what I'd need for a blind setup-HATE shooting out of a boat!

6. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    I wish I could help, but the place I hunt has very restricted guest policy, limited membership and zero turnover in the last ten years. There is also an extensive waiting list to apply for admission. I have three forum members who are on my list to hunt and that will do it for the year for me.

7. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    I need to get off my duff and locate some place that isn't a three-mile hike to and from!

8. 2506

2506 Active Member

In my experience, the worst thing about duck hunting is that you may actually whack one.

9. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    OK, so what I've learned as "freelance duck hunter" is that I need two types of blind: a layout boat, a pop-up blind like LL Bean sells, and maybe an actual layout blind. I'd like to avoid those, because they tend to be used in dry fields of grain where birds are working over what's left after the grain harvest. That's private land, and I simply want to avoid the hassle of asking landowner permission or paying a trespass fee. With a little layout boat like an Aquapod or Momarsh, I could throw it on the top of my rig, and hook the trailer to the hitch; that way I'd have some place to stay that's close by rather than having to "motel" it. I already have the hounds in my Golden Retrievers, both of whom have been in the duck blind in addition to working over the upland birds. I need a little more research on layout boats, but if I get one, I can use that as a mold to make more out of fiberglass. Things are looking up, thanks to all your input! I really appreciate it, guys; thanks!