South Sound Beaches (Olympia) and log jam

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by billylee, Feb 3, 2002.

1. billylee

billylee New Member

Media:
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there lives in the Olympia area and is boatless as I am. I've been looking for places to fish the salt for SRC, Coho etc and haven't found much access yet. I've gone down to Tolmie state park a few times and haven't had any luck. I would also be interested in hints etc about places towards the north (Steilacoom, union) as far as Gig Harbor. Is Kopachuck or Fox island any good?

Finding the fish can be as much fun as fishing but I only get so much time these days that any help would be great.

Billy

P.S. Anyone go see the log jam on the Deschutes yet?

2. Greg

Greg Member

Billy,

Kopachuck: Cutts and Resident Silvers can be found there and its always worth trying.

Fox Island: Try under the Fox Island Pier. Good spot for Blackmouth on both the incoming and outgoing tide. Look at the topography on the sites Mapserver and you'll see why; very steep but easily accessed (actually a handicap access site for the pier) and depth drops to 30 fathoms (180 feet) just off the end of the pier. Pier sits on a shelf of gradual decline until that sudden drop off. Long casts and sinking lines useful here. I've never met another fly fisher in all the times I've been there and very few folks actually fishing from the pier.

Greg
    "Fly fishing is an art that is performed on a four-count rhythm between ten and two o'clock." - anonymous

3. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

"Fly fishing is an art that is performed on a four-count rhythm between ten and two o'clock." - anonymous
    [/quote]

Greg,
    FYI: the quote is from Norman McLean's "A River Runs Through It," atributed to the father, Reverend McLean.
    :pROFESSOR

4. Greg

Greg Member

Ray,
    Excellent! Thank you. I had written the quote down some years ago but failed to associate a source.

Greg
    "Fly fishing is an art that is performed on a four-count rhythm between ten and two o'clock." - from Norman McClean's "A River Runs Through It"

5. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Where is the Fox Island Pier? I have been out on the island searching for it, but never found it.

Rob

6. riverdog

riverdog Member

Media:
    Weighing in on the logjam question, I was there on Saturday. I stopped by after getting skunked on the Skookumchuck, more for curiousity than anything. I fished the logjam and downriver last fall, and had marginal success, due mostly to the spawning Chinook in the area, and wanting to stay out of their redds. Anyway, the river downstream of the logjam looks now like the rest of the river--high. The fish seem to be hunkered down pretty much. Should be interesting when the waters eventually recede this Spring/Summer. Much of the river's shape has been changed by the high waters, and much of the structure has been washed away or downstream. Anyone else have any different reports on this river? (The Deschutes)

Riverdog

7. Greg

Greg Member

Rob,

Cross the Fox Island bridge, and stay on the main road, which soon becomes Island Boulevard FI. It will eventually bear right onto 9th Ave. Then bear left on Kamus. In a tenth of a mile, bear right back onto Island Blvd, which will soon become Mowitch Drive. Bear right onto 14th Ave, which soon becomes Ozette Drive. Bear left down to the water.

Its a Pierce County Park and open 8:00 a.m. to sundown. Costs $1.00 to park there (on the honor system.) Even if its closed, you can shuffle down along the fence to the water.

Greg

8. billylee

billylee New Member

Media:
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to give Fox Island/Kopachuck a wack. I'll keep poking around Oly though. Maybe towards Shelton too.

Gotta see that log jam one day.

Billy

9. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I have also heard that Hammersley Inlet, near Shelton is considered a SRC paradise, although I haven't been there.