South Sound Cutts - Quickie Report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dmoocher, Feb 24, 2005.

1. dmoocher Member

Olympia, Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Stopped by my buddy's place on Eld inlet...he lives directly across from Taylor United oyster farm... Got there a pretty late but had fish jumping everywhere...some were monsters. Managed one huge strike in about 30 minutes of casting but that was it. There's a tiny creek dumping into his cove and my boys were fascinated with the chum salmon jaws littering the beach (guess the lower jaw is the last thing to decay and we have a bucket full of 'em)

If you can find any small chum spawning stream west of Johnson Pt. you'll find plenty of cutts stacked up waiting for the fry feast. There sure appear to be a lot more fish this year.
  2. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +715 / 0
    "there sure appear to be a lot more fish this year"...

are you talking cutts or salmon fry or what? :confused:
  3. dmoocher Member

Olympia, Wa.
    Cutthroat!...I caught the biggest cutt of my life last fall at Priest Point park.

Bob...next academy meeting we'll hit it...OK? The spot is just 15 minutes out of town.
  4. msteudel Mark Steudel

Seattle.
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Do you know if any chum make it up the henderson inlet?
  5. dmoocher Member

Olympia, Wa.
    Call the Jason or Lance at South Puget Sound Salmon Enhancement Group (SPSSEG)...360-412-0808. They know everything about creeks and streams down here.
  6. TomB Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    yes chum spawn in woodard and woodland creeks
    -T
  7. pez "Say, nice bead head earring"

Olympia, WA
    Mark,
    Do you live on Henderson inlet? So do I. Shoot me an e-mail. We should hook up and hit the salt after those wily cutts. I have a boat...or 6.
    Todd
  8. mdjm66 Member

Cloverdale, BC
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    One of my favorite times of year, when the cutties come out to play!

What patterns do you use?

I have had success with an olive bead head muddler size 8-10, and some succes with an epoxy minnow.
  9. msteudel Mark Steudel

Seattle.
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Hey Todd,

I don't anymore, but my parents live down there, and I still do some canoeing/kayaking down there in summer time. I'll shoot you a email if I'm ever heading down that way to fish.

Mark
  10. pez "Say, nice bead head earring"

Olympia, WA
    Sounds good Mark.

Todd