South Sound Cutts

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by pez, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Anyone have any thoughts on recently productive areas of the South Sound (and I mean way south) or Hood Canal for cutthroats? I live on Henderson inlet which has an oyster farm 100yds away from my place. Haven't tried fishing there but never see anyone trying there either. I do have multiple watercraft avail. Private mail me if you prefer. Thanks.
    Todd

2. Let's go, I live across from the mouth of Mill Creek. I use a row boat or pontoon boat an catch the hell out of cutts and silvers on Hamersley. I'll be back at the end of the week (jobsite). Actually, If you want to catch some nice cutts and maybe something(s) bigger, post it here and I'll PM you from work.
    trmcknot aka tomc

3. If you live on Henderson you should fish right at woodard bay and the west side. I've never fished it, but I've seen a lot of fish in the area-

4. trmcknot did you get my private message?

Todd

5. Us south sound guys really need to compare notes...there is a lot of water down here...I've fished some of it but I'm getting to old to do much more exploring.

FYI...if anyone attends Arts Walk in Olympia this year, stop by the Carnegie building (the old Oly library) for some food and tunes and say "HI".

6. Todd, I'm still in the dessert. I'll be home on Friday at my homa address. I am tryng to get a trip together this weekend on the Wynoochee (float). Keep in mind, those cutts and silvers will be there all spring.
    tomc aka trmcknot

7. I know. It's just been a long time since something tugged on my......er... line. Yea, that's it. :D
    Todd

8. I have Fridays off. If you can we can hit it...

9. Tom,
    What tide are fishing Hammersly? Are you on the Mill creek side or across?

Last time I drifted the nooch I was laying in the bottom of the boat with food poisioning. I was NOT much fun to be around! :clown:

I'm looking to buy a pontoon boat, got any leads?

I agree with Dave, South Sounders should get together- the is a lot of water and local knowledge to share.

PM me

John

10. I'm a south sounder too who doesn't get out enough, and haven't explored enough. I've only really fished Evergreen, Case inlet, and around Bud inlet. I'd love to try and tag along with anyone going out when I can-
    ???

11. Sea,

Where is Woodard Bay? I am not familiar with that name. I am familiar with Carr Inlet, however.

Sterling

Sorry, guys. I was thinking of Henderson Bay, not Henderson Inlet. My bad.

12. Woodard bay is a small inlent on the west side of Henderson inlet north of Olympia. There's a nature preserve (DNR) that encompasses the inlet. It's very nice habitat and looks like it should be attractive to cutthroat, though I've never spoken with anyone who's thrown a fly (or gear for that matter) in there.

13. OK Guys...as I'm a nice guy...local secret #1...McCallister Creek...hit it from the boat launch at the mouth or take the very enjoyable walk in from the nature preserve off I-5...got a canoe, head upstream and you're in "Fat City".

Warning...I've seen an actual thresher shark caught off the small pier at the launch. Yes, a thresher shark...it was one of the el nino years.

Tit-for-tat...where and how on juvenile coho from the beach...which beach...I've tried gull harbor, Tolmie, Priest Point (got some beautiful cutts off Priest Point fishing amongst the coho in Oct.) Burfoot...nuthin...anyone?

14. Dave,

Try the Narrows Park on the Kitsap Peninsula, or Titlow Beach at Tilow Park in west Tacoma. Down here it's mostly cutthroat city. Once in a while you catch one in Eld or Totten Inlet. Good luck.

15. South Sound Cutts; 2/20/05 report

Hit the narrows area Sunday, looking for the silver schoolies; on the lee side to get out of the chilly NW wind. Thanks to the many tips from folks on this forum I was able to get into the game effectively despite being my first time in the area.

Sometime after 5 pm they came in to feed, hitting small (1.5") mostly white clouser bait fish patterns very aggressively and 3 were landed in rapid succession with a couple missed, until the seals came in to feed on them and chased them out deeper. It would have been good to have binoculars to scan the beach for the jumping silvers. Essentially I just lucked out being at the right place when they started to feed, as the rest of the beach had very slight activity. Feeders close in were in the 12" - 14" range, with a few larger ones rising in deeper water beyond my casting range, 100 ft or more from shore. I wished I'd had a DH beach rod to get out to those bigger ones. Oh well, I'll have one soon enough for the summer salmon runs.

Beautiful sunset lit up Mt Ranier in orange, standing knee deep in the quiet and current of the sound really helped chase those shack nasties away. Very much worth the afternoon drive down.

16. Love the Sea Run Cutts, but have never fished the salt for them. Once I recover from this whooping cough thing, I'd love to get out. Drop me a PM, I'm retired so I fish whenever I can.

REE

17. Just ordered my pontoon on-line...all I could afford was the ODC 915...but it should work for me. Wanted to get it to hook up with Mr. Mill Creek down here who seems to have Hamersly Inlet pretty well nailed. There are a couple areas off Fox Is I have fished before from larger boats that would be perfect for a beach launched 'toon.

Florian, Jason was bidding on the Scadden on e-bay...he lost it with 6 seconds to go.

18. Cool, When do you expect your pontoon boat? And don't worry about the "fashion police" bad mouthing Creek Company boats, I get a lot of access to places that I would otherwise never see because of my boats, and they work great. So, LET'S GO.
    Tom

19. Will do...I've got friends with beach access on both sides of Steamboat Island (Totten/Eld) so there is plenty to explore.

20. Tom, Dave, Todd, and any other Sound Sounders or anybody who cares.

I'm trying to solve a mystery as to why the cutthroat fishing has been hot on one tide exchange then dead on the next. Bear with me while I give you some background.

On Saturady I fished the evergreen beach during the last of the incoming tide during a slow exchange. In the past I have found that it almost always fishes better on the fastest part of the out tide. I fished from about noon to 4:00 pm. the fish were in very close and very active. In the first hour and a half I landed eight lost as many and had a lot of follows and boils to a fly fished just under the surface. i was surprised that it was so good during the incoming but oh wee what are you doing to do? During the fist part of the high slack I caught a few more. the it went absolutly dead, no strikes or jumpers.

I returned on Sunday at about 1:00pm with my partner and meet PEZ (aka Todd). Two other flyfishers had been there all morning a did very well. Apparently we were a little late on the tide as it was abosolutly dead, nobody had a strike. we fished the very last of the incoming and trough the high slack and the first of the out tide. My partner and I left about 3:30 and Todd stayed late and repoted no activity at all. I kinda felt like a schumck when we zeroed out after telling tales of a hot time, so much for my credability.

The funny thing is that I sure the fish were still around and had not moved off, they were just done feeding. But why? I had the same experience in January, this difference being that during the daylight hours we had heavy fog on the water but clear skys and a full moon during the night.

So here is my theory (not that I know anything). Years ago I remember hearing that chinook fishing could be slow during the daylight hours following a full moon because the phyto plantkon, attrached by the moonlight, moved to the surface, then in turn the zooplankton followed to feed on the phytoplankton and the fish followed to feed heavily on the zooplanton. and then the fish bacically rested during the daylight hours. Makes sense to me.

So here is the question? why were the fish still feeding during the late morning and mid-day? Were they still in the feeding mode? and why were they feeding during tidal cycles that were opposite from what my experince has show to the norm? Slow incoming as opposed to a fast out tide and time of day, and angle of sun has really never made much difference.

One more thing, as I was leaving I noticed a large number of fry, that I think were chum at the estuary of a very tiny stream in about six inches of water. There were quite few chum carcasses on the beach in January near the stream. It blows me away to think that chum use this stream as it is only about three feet wide at high flows, but now I'm sure they do. So how do the chum fry fit into the picture? There was no cutthroat activity near the stream, but we were fish a shallow cove about 500 yards away. Could the incomig be collecting other fry in the cove? If so, why would the cutthroat stop feeding during the high slack?

What do you think? Now that I got that off my chest I can get back to work.

John