South Sound Pinks Report 08/07

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Beckler, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Hit Brown's point Sunday morning about 8 AM and as my buddy and I were getting out of the car saw a flyguy leaving, asked him if there was any action and his reply was "Oh Yeah" with a hint of sarcasm. Went down to the beach and saw what was probably bugging him. there were 25 guys to the right and 10 to the left, more flyfisherman than I have ever seen on any one spot and 2 fish caught all morning. Oh well, nothing wrong with sharing the salt with other fly flingers. Anyway on to the the report:

Fished about an hour with no takes and didn't see any action. Drove over to Dash to see if anything was going on and saw good numbers being taken at the pier and watched this guy break his rod trying to horse a huge king on the pier, funny stuff. Went back to Brown's and the crowds had really thinned out and of course there was the usual, "a big school just came through and everybody hooked up". Went back out to give it another try and it turned on, My buddy landed 4, hooked 6 or 7 and I landed 2 and hooked 5. Had one take me way into backing that hadn't seen the light of day for quite some time and was knotted, broke me off. I've always fished a 6 wt in the rivers for Pinks but I think an 8 wt would have been a better choice for these, in order to release quickly and get right back into the action. Also hooked a number of flounder and a lot of small sculpins. I hooked a big Pink just as I was pulling it up to cast and it came clear out of the water right at my buddy, exciting stuff. Our fly of choice was a Pink Starlite leech. Good luck! :thumb:

2. Ha, ha! I was right next to you guys when that pink ("I was just getting ready to cast!") tried to leap into your buddy's stripping basket.

That was a great afternoon. I caught 4 or 5 on a small (#8) pink and white clouser.

For you popper enthusiasts, I tried a small pink Miyawaki, casting right onto the boils. No action. Leland--have you had any luck with poppin' humpies?

Tom

3. I tired a Pink Miyawaki (even colored the head pink) popper on Moday before the sun came up and didn't get even a boil. But after switching to a fast sink tip and a Pink Clouser, hook up on the first cast with it. Ended up hooking 3 before 8 o'clock.