South Sound Report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by miyawaki, Mar 26, 2006.

1. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +836 / 1
    Fished the outgoing tide yesterday afternoon. The tide was 9.2' at 12:30pm and -0.3' at 7:30pm. Two hours into the tide, I got three follows and a sideways big boy strike at my new chum popper. One of the follows was a fish that "chomped" his way all the way to my rod tip.

I wanted to give Bob Triggs' Chum Baby a try and promptly caught two of the largest cutts I have caught in a very long time. The first was well over 15" and I'd guess closer to 20" They were both bright silver, fat, and lordy, did they put up a fight! Things slowed down around 3:30.

Leland.
  2. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    I haven't run into any SRCs this week, but I have been running into pods of very aggressive resident silvers.
  3. pcknshvl Member

SEATTLE, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Hi, Leland,

Glad to see your post. My usual questions:

2-hander, or one? Outbound line? What weight?

I'm experimenting with a floating Outbound on my 6/7 Snowbee Torridge.

Finally, since a search on this site hasn't turned up anything, can you reveal the Chum Baby?

Tom
  4. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Port Orchard, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  5. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Tom,

I'm using a 9' single-handed rod with a 6wt floating bonefish line and a 12' leader tapered to 1x tippet. I'm not using the Rio Outbound or AirFlo 40-Plus. I generally use these lines with a two-hander when fishing for fall coho when distance matters. Searun cutthroat chasing chum fry are never far off the beach because their prey are in the relative safety of shallow water, so the casts are never longer than 30-40' quartered downtide or downwind.

I believe Bob Triggs' Chum Baby is posted in the pattern archive. If not, I'm sure he'll post it for you. I've also ordered a couple dozen from him for us to sell at Orvis.

Leland.
  6. pcknshvl Member

SEATTLE, WA, USA.
    Thanks, Mike and Leland. I searched under "Bob Triggs" and "chum baby," and didn't even think to look at the pattern archives.

As far as Outbounds and two-handers, yes, I agree that it may be too much for SRCs in near and shallow water. However, stealth sometimes matters, and the extra distance available may be an advantage when casting along the beach. Until the waves wreck everything.

I'm trying this line out as a Scando/Skagit underhanded line, too.

Tom
  7. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +349 / 0
    Mr. Triggs:
    Do you tie flies to sell in the PT Fly shop? If not, do you sell the Baby Chum retail in the PT area?

Thank you,
    Jeff Dodd
    Whidbey
  8. pcknshvl Member

SEATTLE, WA, USA.
    Leland,

I missed my other important question: Can you reveal the chum popper, too?

Tom
  9. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    I took my stinger setup with the #4 Gammy Octopus and added a sparse bit of Brown Squirrel, a couple strands of Krystal Flash and topped with a couple herls of peacock, just like the Chum Baby. I colored the popper head with brown and a touch of red along the "gills."

Leland.
  10. gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Gig Harbor, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    If you ever get a chance try tying it with Gray Squirel tail. The white tips on the hair mimic the tail of the chum fry quite well.
  11. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    I don't care what people say about you, Leland... You're alright! :thumb:
  12. ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    pcknsvl do you match the outbound line to the grain weight of your preferred spey line, or do you go lighter? Also I assume you are using floating?

I can't afford to do too much experimenting at $60/line

CW
  13. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Fishing for coastal cutthroat in the salt is a cast and retrieve business, particularly when you may have to redirect your fly quickly to reach a jumping fish, or a patch of nervous water. For this particular fishing a one-hand 5-7 weight rod is a better bet than a two-hander. This is particularly true when chum fry are darting around in the shallows to avoid voracious cutthroats. A good floating line is almost always best, especially if you are tossing a Miyawaki Popper. I like the SA Steelhead Taper, Orvis Salmon/Steelhead line, Rio Steelhead/Atlantic salmon line, or something similar. All lay out a long cast easily and with the long rear taper pick up easily to redirect a cast.
    While this particular phenonamnon is occuring, don't waste time over intellectualizing tackle. One of the better beach fly fishers I know uses an old Orvis 7-weight and any floating line he finds in a local sale bin. Just get out there before this fishery is over.
    Good Luck,
    Les
  14. pcknshvl Member

SEATTLE, WA, USA.
    No, they're not cheap experiments. Depending on where you buy the line, you can return or exchange it if it doesn't work for you. A Bellevue shop that starts with a "K" (don't know if they are a site sponsor) will do so.

The line I have now at 375 gr is pretty good for my rod, but I've been messing around with Skagit'y stuff at 400 - 425 total. I still need to do some real practice with the 375 gr one to tell for sure. Yes, it's a floater.

The rod is rated at a 320 gr head wt. by the manufacturer, but the 370 gr scando head works better.

I'm finding that as I mess around with head lenghts, weights, and different tapers, I'm liking heavier (370+) heads.

It all depends on the individual, I guess.

Tom