South Sound Silvers

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Mike Etgen, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

I know there's been recent posts about how plentiful the resident silvers have been, and I experienced some of it myself a couple of weekends ago, but wondering if anyone's had a more current look, or if their abundance and accessibility is something that's fairly reliable throughout the winter, into the spring, etc. Not looking for secret spots, just an assertion that they're still likely to be out there - or not. :hmmm:

I understand it's mostly a hatchery fishery, but they sure are fun... :D

2. JWKitsap

JWKitsap Member

I hooked up a nice 12" coho this morning below the Purdy bridge.....Im guessing I bonked it on the nose with my fly as there was no other signs of fish in the area. I hooked it on a flesh colored bunny strip (my fly of choice for SRCs as of late). I would say they are still out there, but I think its just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

3. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Mike:

There are still quite a few resident silvers out in the Sound in the spots that I fish. However, there do not appear to be as many fish at these locations as there were a month or two ago. At one location the resident silvers were locked into the spot for two months until moving on somewhere else(to the North?). It is now time to do a little poking around some other areas to find some more resident silvers. In the last month or so, this fisheries has been getting quite a bit of fishing pressure and it seems like the fish have wised up and are not quite as aggressive.

Most years I starting fishing for resident silvers in mid-November and ussually this fisheries will remain good through the Winter months. In my experience by Spring, the fishing starts to tail off so far as numbers of fish caught but the size of the fish makes up for that.

A major key to have success fishing for resident silvers is to check out a lot of locations looking for where the fishing are hanging out. Very often the resident silvers will lock into an area for a month or so if there is a food supply to hold them there. They will frequently become active on the same part of the tide each day depending on the weather conditions. When you find one of these spots, you have a resident silver "bonanza" for a while.

Hope that this info. has helped you out.

Roger

4. Anil

Anil Active Member

5. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

I fished around fox island and the narrows today, it was still pretty good. Gotta move around to find fish, easier done from a boat then from shore.

-I

6. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Thanks to all for the feedback. In spite of the encouragement about silvers I opted to try a new spot I'd heard about closer to home, and went after cutts.
    I hit the area about 90 minutes before the low tide and saw no action until about dead low, then heard a healthy splash about thirty feet behind me and used the water to load and get off a cast behind me. Fish on, and it was a beauty - thick-bodied and about 16/17 inches - my personal best. :D

After that, for about forty-five minutes, I had about five more strikes but only got one more to hand - about 12 inches. I did have another larger one on but never got a good hook set and lost it - felt like it would have been close to my first.

Every strike was on the Marabou Candlefish out of Les Johnson's book, which is definitely becoming my go-to fly for cutts. :thumb:

After that forty-five minute flurry, I only had one more strike though I kept moving as I had all along.

I'm loving this cutthroat fishing more and more...

(By the way...glanced back at the bridge up at the road at one point when a car was stopped - about 150 yards away - and I'd swear a kid yelled, "Hi, Santa!" Have my hair and beard gotten that white, and do I look that round from a distance?) :rofl:

7. rockfish

rockfish Member

went blackmouth fishing out of manchester on saturday and seen lots of resident coho activety but 0 blackmouth activity, when I was going home I seen a flyfisher and asked him if he got any and he said no, lots of fly anglers this winter I have seen :beer2: