South Sound Squimp migration in full swing !!!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Mark Mercer, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Hey alex maybe what you heard was people talking about stipping faster once you get a short strike to get them to chase. I always have the best luck slow stripping when fishing blind.

Mark Mercer and Alexander like this.
  2. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Me too. I'm pretty much stuck to fishing one beach only (due to current time constraints and lack of crowds :D). But I pretty much swing and strip. Usually when the bite is on they are on it as soon as my fly hits the water. Plop, retrieve....bam! I mainly fish streamers though, I have no confidence in fishing squid or shrimp because I can't figure how to imitate the way they would move, but after reading this I'll trie the dead drift with those! :)

Mark Mercer likes this.
  3. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    As I said I love this pattern and it is my go to on most of my trips. Hit an MA11 beach today and besides watching the snow flurries had some decent luck with 2 fish to the net and 2 ldr.

I have tweaked it a bit and below is my version. I found the fox tends to float so the red rib gives it some weight as well as a visual/textural impact.
    [​IMG]

I also had good success with this odd Black/Purple version of the Squimp. I added a sub hackle/wing of black Marabou. I have avoided black for whatever reason, I guess I never see pure black SRC patterns so I was dubious, but on a dark and calm day like today this did get some attention.

[​IMG]

Mark Mercer and rotato like this.
  4. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    I like those Dave, nice looking flies and I have no doubt black/purple would work, especially on dark overcast days, much
    more contrast against the sky, might have to tie up a couple darker versions myself, good idea...

Mark

5. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Mark, nice talking with you today. Thanks for the demonstration. I can do this. Very generous. Have a great season.

Mark Mercer likes this.
  6. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Managed a few nice srcs on Lelands Popper yesterday to go along with my frozen hands. Did notice a lot of surface action so they were feeding on something.

Slowwww strips seemed to be the key...colder water maybe?

Mark Mercer likes this.
  7. Speyrod GB

Speyrod GB Member

Just wondering if you have ever used the fly for steelhead in larger sizes. Great looking fly.

8. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Good too hear you picked some up, and I would think this time of year it could have been euphasids, maybe amphipods they were after, but who knows ?? I'm sure Preston would have a good idea what else they might be after...

No, never used this pattern for steel but tied up a couple on larger salmon irons and have no doubt they would work for
    winter fish, after all they're all attractor patterns anyway..... If I still chased steelhead I'd tie some up for sure.....

9. Justin Waters

Justin Waters New Member

I have noticed a lot more fish being taken on small surface patterns (size 6 gurglers and other stuff like that) around these parts... Those shrimp look amazing Mark, bring one down next time you are in the Harbor.

Mark Mercer likes this.