South Sound

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tom Johnston, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    And that is why so many property owners are like that. Allot of inconsiderate people leaving trash, beer cans and bottles...You'll see what I mean when the big fishies are in.:rolleyes:
  2. bjgavin Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Could you guys confirm whether or not I am correct with this:

All beach is open to public fishing as long as it is accessed via a public access point.

I am almost positive on this one, but only through other people telling me. Just firgured I would confirm it since it came up. Thanks.

BJ
  3. Hooker Banned or Parked

WA
    No it is not correct.
  4. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    When do the big ones start running at Purdy?
  5. Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

puget sound
    Aug-nov.....that would be my guess.
  6. gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Gig Harbor, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Purdy really isn't the greatest salmon beach, you may get lucky and hook into one but there are a lot of better beaches around for targeting the big guys. Chinook are there in Aug, Coho late Aug to Nov and Chum Nov to Dec. These are basically the same general rules at other estuarine beaches.

On a side note the fish at Purdy get the crap netted out them by the local tribes so starting in August through the end of the chum run the beach is usually littered with a ton of dead dog fish and seals making it a little less appealing to fish at.
  7. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Is the old Doc's an option for salmon? I am new to fishing salt, is Penrose point a good place to go?
  8. Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

puget sound
    In the fall, anywhere that has a creek mouth nearby that gets a decent run of salmon will have fish to catch. They may be lockjaw at times but eventually theres biters to be had. However those are just estruary fish.
  9. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    I agree about it not being the best salmon beach, but it can have its days. I've caught quite a few resident silvers there. I have a non digital photo at home of a 12 lb blackmouth caught by another angler there. What a battle!
    We used to catch quite a few blackmouth there in January through March.
  10. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    I have not been up to Puget sound fly co. lately to ask and buy some, but what kind of fly should I throw out for salmon? I finally got SRC kind of dialed in now just wondering what to throw for salmon.
  11. gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Gig Harbor, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Pink and white marabou clouser work good, or big shock and awes. Early on like now through August, baitfish imitations are generally a good bet.
  12. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Thanks Gigharborflyfisher
  13. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    Tommy, just keep throwing the same fly(s) at them that your using for SRC's. Pink/White ,Chartreuse/white.
  14. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Thanks Roy, do they tend to come in closer to shore like SRC's as the season goes on? I do see them out beyond casting reach jumping around.
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Where there is bait there are bait eating fish. Not always true, but more often true than not true.
  16. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
  17. Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

puget sound
    No offense Tommy but you need to get out more and fish. I used to be in your same position but spending more and more time on the beach made me become better at learning the tides, flies, fish activity, bait....ect. I eventually got my ass kicked enough times from coho and SRC I became sort of possessed and was on the beach dang near everyday until I finally started catching fish. Since then its got much easier....good luck,

Jake
  18. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    No offense taken, just a new side of the fishing world that I am learning. Sucks with how work is and my wifes work schedule I am limited to time for fishing, and of course the kid.
  19. SeaRun Fanatic Member

Northwest, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Nope!! Varies beach to beach, with some ownership to mean high tide and some to mean low. Sucks, but it is what it is. That being said, if there is no signage and you are quiet, respectful and clean, you will almost never get hassled. I have never been hassled in many, many, many years fishing the beach.