South Sounder Heads to the islands..

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by sea, May 25, 2005.

1. sea Member

Olympia, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Ah yes, the family and I will be spending the long weekend on an island (not sure which one yet) near Anacortes, I plan on casting for cutthroat and whatever else might tighten my line- just like I do in the south sound near Olympia. I'll be throwing clousers, shrimp, and the usual saltwater cutthroat fair. Any tips on tactics, flies, or other for this North Sound trip? Any major differences I'm not privy to? Thanks!!
  2. Will Atlas Guest

If you are going to the San Juans, the saltwater fly fishing is not perfect at least in my experiences. The beaches are generally steep and rocky and allow for little wading, backcasting or shallow water feeding. However if it is North Whidbey where you are going that is an entirely different story. Just find some good looking beach and they should be there, plus some fat Dollys and maybe some salmon as well. If you go to the san juans check out the rockfish, and also some of those islands, in fact most have stillwaters worth checking out.
    Will
  3. sea Member

Olympia, WA.
    Thanks Wil,
    I'm not sure where we'll end up, but I'll bring some sinking gear for bottom fish just in case..
  4. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I don't think there are any SRC in the san juans specifically. I used to live on Orcas and never caught one or heard of anyone catch one. I've heard others on this board claim the same thing, let us know if you do catch one! There is some great bottom fishing up there, take a striper line with you. You also might encounter some pinks from the beach, might be a little early but the san juans always seems to get a lot of them milling around the islands.

-I