South West Isla de Cozumel, Mexico - DIY fly fishing opportunities from the shore?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Polite, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Polite New Member

Wales, UK
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi
    has anyone flicked a salty fly along the shores of South-West Cozumel in Mexico? I've got plenty of DIY info for the mainland opposite (Playa Del Carmen area and down the Mayan Riviera) but I'm looking at Cozumel now for a family holiday with added salt water flyfishing, as it's alot less developed, there's plenty of empty beach between the resorts (a huge amount around the south and east of the island too), and the shoreline looks superb. I expect what's good for the mainland is probably good for the Island, but just wondered if anyone had been there? I know the flats are on the north of the island and I may well take a guided trip to them, but again, does anyone know if it's possible to walk the flats yourself straight from the shore there? Any pointers or views gratefully received!:thumbs:
  2. Bryan Williamson Willybethere

Bothell, WA
    South West Isla de Cozumel, Mexico - DIY fly fishing opportunities from the shore

Went to Cozumel for my honeymoon 13 yrs ago. Rented a scooter and drove around the island one day. The goal was to stop at every bar and have a drink, which we did, so I wasn't looking for likely fishing spots. I do remember much of the south/east shore to be more of a drop off with larger surf type beaches. There were some inlets with possible fishing areas though. One of which was on the east shore where the road bisects the island. The South/East shore had the larger surf. Good luck...definetly hit the bar on the south end where the road hits the beach...it is SWEEET!
  3. Polite New Member

Wales, UK
    South West Isla de Cozumel, Mexico - DIY fly fishing opportunities from the shore

Thanks - if the weather's not conducive to throwing a line, drinking is next on my list! :) The south west and North of the Island looks most suitable (good old Google Earth...!)
  4. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +59 / 0

Check the rules. I'm not 100% sure of the boundaries, but much of the south end is made up of marine parks that are off limits to fishing. Cozumel caters more to divers than to fishermen, but the good flats are all at the north end anyway.
  5. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    Italian politics?
  6. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +45 / 1
    According to Google Translate, it sounds like a bot...

I google translated both sections and it's the most random mix of words regarding Rome, China, Louis Vuitton handbags and Norway, and two gold medals...
  7. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    Help us mumblemoderator