South Whidbey Island

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by phil217, Sep 6, 2012.

1. phil217

phil217 Member

Will be camping there this weekend, Fri-Sun if anyone will be around to meet up? I think I will try Bush Point out for some of these Silvers everyone is catching off the beaches!

Any reports from the area?

Thanks again!

2. Dehlan G

Dehlan G Member

Media:
    The morning tides have produced more fish than the evening tides. I'd say about half of the anglers in buzz bomb crowd have been walking out with a fish or two. Those guys having the most success seem to be the locals or guys that frequent the beach. I did walk past three fellow fly anglers yesterday.

The beach at the state park is just as good as the beach at Bush Point imo. Plus it's a lot less crowded, which comes in handy when fly casting.

Honestly, there are better beaches to fish with a fly rod. The brush behind the beach, wind, and crowds make it difficult to fly fish from. But the fish do come in close to shore at times.

The pods of silvers seem to come through at all times of the day so keep at it.

Good luck

3. phil217

phil217 Member

I might have to try the park out throughout the day then...thanks! Will you be up there?

4. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

I remember that the last time I fished Bush Point I had to get a special pass from the homeowners there because only a part of that beach is open to fishing. Since I wasn't aware apparently I had waded into the area that was in front of this guys place and that was in the "special permit" area. He came down to the beach and presented me with the appropriate pass, then told me that they normally charge people to fish on that beach. Maybe it was that I was flyfishing in the midst of a huge crowd of gear chuckers or I was just given a pass to the chigrin of the other anglers. I didn't catch anything there, but apparently as stated above - it can be good.
    JB

5. Caveman

Caveman Member

Its a zoo

6. phil217

phil217 Member

Good to know Jon...Caveman...I dont like fishing in a zoo but if its a chance for my first silver off a beach I will try it! Hope to see some WWF members there! I will be in G3 Waders with an Orange Simms hat!

7. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    dwayne-the-rock-johnson.jpg

Don't forget to bring a tag team buddy.

KevinLS likes this.
  8. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    The rivers have fish in them now so that will take some pressure off the Whidbey beaches. If you fish near the launch @ Bush, know you can walk way down the beach as far as you like, and fish. Signs show you where not to fish, so just keep walking.

Transition tides are not nearly as popular and produce fish.

The state park beach is pretty shallow and for some reason seems to produce less fish.

I am unavailabe or i would offer to meet up. Best of luck! And have fun.

9. doublebluff

doublebluff Go Beavs

Think a little different. Go to other beaches. There are coho in a lot of places, and not getting a fish in a beautiful quiet beach vs getting one in a war zone can often be just as good or better. There is always something going on in the water.

As mentioned above, you can walk all the away from South Whidbey to Bush Point and there are fish all along, just not as many as down by the point. Fort Casey is an option. It's all great.

10. Islander

Islander Steve

State Park is ok, but if the tide is in you'll have a huge bluff close behind you which will make fly casting difficult. If Bush point is crowded just walk past the houses further up the beach as Jeff suggested. Once you're past the houses you will find less company. Another option is Lagoon Point but similar to Bush it has a small public area. Fort Casey has good access and usually less pressure but you will have to pay to enter as at the State Park. The beaches are still producing but you have to stick with it as they come and go throughout the day.

11. phil217

phil217 Member

Well we got back and the camping was fun and fishing was fishing...not catching! I only saw 2 landed farther then I can cast by the buzz bomb guys for about 40 guys on Saturday Morning...Tried at the state park as well and nothing...I did see someone drift by fly fishing from their boat as well!