Southern German Creeks

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by dude_1967, Aug 27, 2007.

1. dude_1967

dude_1967 Chris

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I reported on German fly fishing.

I flyfish a lot of streams in Southern Germany. When I first moved to Southern Germany in 1995, I had not expected to find much in the way of fly fishing. We had prevously lived in Colorado and I grew up in Western Washington. I had grown accustomed to fly fishing in the American West during my youth.

We settled in Swabia near Stuttgart and the German Black Forest. It is a region filled with natural beauty and interesting cultural artifacts. It didn't take long to figure out that the local streams were populated with native trout and grayling. However, it did take some time and effort to dial in the fishing scene here. Pretty much all of the fishing access and rights on the waters in Southern Germany are within the hands of clubs---and the best of these are tightly locked within the ownership of highly privatized, small local pacts.

I took a class to get my German fishing license in 1996. It was a series of evening classes once a week, 10 weeks long, followed by a 30 question test on which you had to score 80% or higher. It was rough because I had not been a pupil in school for quite some time and was a bit rusty at studying. I joined the local angling club for about 250 dollars up front and the same charge per year every year.

My favorite stream in our local club is a pure salmonid spring creek sourced by 3 springs which pour out at the base of the Swabian Alp. I can reach the stream by foot or bike within a few minutes. The bedrock is an ancient ocean floor originating from some sort of dinosaur era and it appears to be composed of calcium based stones and other shales. The stream has high water quality and brown trout live and breed within its waters. In fact, the race of browns is a historic race because the stream has never been planted. It is a food-rich, high-gradient stream which clears fast after rain. The bulk of snowmelt is sometime in February through April depending on the conditions in a particular year. The stream really turns on for fly fishing in the summer.

A lot of the guys in the club soak worms during run-off. And this can get in the way. But after May the water clears and they don't get so many fish---so they stay away. You can almost always pick up native browns on standard nymph or dry fly patterns in the summer. Mostly they are anywhere from 8-24 inches. A couple of fish per year rate up into the pounds. In the lower portion of the stream there are some grayling. The series of photos in this report portrays this creek.

Often times I visit waters from other clubs on which daily cards are available for purchase. Also some good fly fishing contacts have grown over the years, offering opportunites for fishing outings on highly privatized pacted waters. These have always been very rewarding fly fishing experiences. Over the years in Southern Germany it has been possible to catch many good trout and grayling.

Hopefully you will enjoy the pictures.

Chris.

Attached Files:

2. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Looks like you're getting your $ worth. Nice fishy pictures.

3. Luke Ramirez

Luke Ramirez Still DoubleUgly

Grayling in Germany? I had no idea!!

Great photos!

4. Bill Reed

Bill Reed New Member

Nice report and photos, dude!
    One question for you on fishing in Deutschland.
    Is it true that catch & release fishing is illegal in Germany?

5. dude_1967

dude_1967 Chris

Absolutely! They are fairly common and grow quite large. In germany they are distinctly different from arctic grayling as well as from the scandinavian types. In addition, there are two strains of grayling in Germany separated by the European water continental divide (Rhein / Danube split). Germany has worked a lot in the last 40 years toward drastically improving the water quality.

6. dude_1967

dude_1967 Chris

The legal quotation from chapter 11 of the animal rights laws can be summarized by the following:

Das Fangen von Fischen ist nur dann nicht tierschutzwidrig, wenn hierfür ein vernünftiger Grund vorliegt. Hierzu gehört insbesondere das Fangen zum Zwecke der menschlichen Ernährung oder zum Zwecke der Hege und Bewirtschaftung...

This can be roughly translated with:

Catching fish is consistent with animal rights laws only when there is a sensible reason to do so. To these reasons belong in particular catching for the purpose of human consumption or for purposes of game preservation, tending or cultivation.

In fact this legal text allows for a very wide spectrum of interpretation. For example, in order to preserve game, one might install a very large minimum size limit or a size limit with a window. My interpretation of the legal passage tends toward the game preservation side.

Sincerely, Chris.

7. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

very nice report chris!! coming back for some winter fishin at all?

8. dude_1967

dude_1967 Chris

Yes Jeff. I will be visiting in late September through the middle of October. I hope to be prepared for some fly fishing. Sorry that I was a bit under the weather last time. I will PM you and hope that we can go angling together.

Sincerely, Chris.