Southwest Alaska, Aug 27 through Sept 3

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Brent Comer, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Brent Comer Member

Duvall, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Here's a report from my trip to Southwest Alaska, Aug 27 through Sept 3.

Anchorage
    We flew into Anchorage from Seattle in time to catch the lunar eclipse. We grabbed a shuttle to our hotel and hung out there until Monday morning. In the morning we grabbed the hotel shuttle to Merrill Field where we hopped on a Lake Clark Air flight to Pedro Bay.

Pedro Bay
    We lucked out on the flight to Pedro Bay. The clear skies afforded us ample views of the mountains and glaciers in the Alaska Range.

[IMG]

We could see thousands of fish near the Lake Iliamna shoreline as the plane banked into the airstrip at Pedro Bay.

[IMG]

Iliamna River
    The folks from Guth's Lodge picked us up at the airport and we hopped in one of their jet boats for the ride to the lodge. We put our stuff in our rooms and got ready to fish. We headed up the Iliamna River looking for Rainbows. The river was full of bright red sockeye.

Not far upriver our guide Kenny cranked a hard right and landed the boat. We were in a run with numerous Rainbows. Here's a picture of the first Alaska Rainbow I landed.

[IMG]

We fished the first few days on the Iliamna River. We caught Rainbows, Arctic Char, and Sea-run Dolly Varden. Here's a view of the river.

[IMG]

There were sockeye piled up everywhere in the river.

[IMG]

Another Rainbow

[IMG]

Sea-run Dolly Varden

[IMG]

Cook Inlet river
    Some guys from Colorado at the lodge came back with a story about a close encounter with a bear from one of their adventures. They had a picture of the back of Cody's head (guide) in the foreground and a bear standing on its hind legs just up ahead of him on the trail. I guess the Colorado guys decided not to venture further up the trail. It made me a little nervous when I found out that was where we would be fishing the next day. That night we headed over to Williamsport on the Cook Inlet where we stayed in a cabin. In the morning we got up and caught the tide out of Williamsport into the Cook Inlet. After awhile we pulled into a small bay and beached the boat.

[IMG]

Cody mentioned that this was where the Colorado guys took the bear picture they showed me. We headed up the trail to the first pool and my brother and dad started fishing. I went upriver with Doug and Marty Guth. Doug got situated on the tailout of a long pool and started fishing.

[IMG]

Marty had me go midway up the pool and start fishing. The water was clear, I could see a bunch of salmon holding on the far bank. I tied on one of my pink marabou flies and made a roll cast to get some line out.

Fish on!

[IMG]

The silvers were pretty feisty and I got to see several make smokin runs.

[IMG]

Here's another one.

[IMG]

Oh, yeah, I've left out the bear sightings. We managed to see eight bears fishing for silvers. They mostly just came down to fish in the falls between the pools. I had only seen bears this big in the zoo. It's quite another experience to see one up close in the wild.

[IMG]

Kvichak River
    On the last day of our stay we flew out to the village of Igiugig where Lake Iliamna drains into the Kvichak River. This was the only day of our trip that it rained. This was also the first time of the trip we saw other fisherman on a river. Apparently, a bunch of lodges are located on the Kvichak. Anyway, a few minutes after dropping my line in I was into a Kvichak Rainbow. It measured 27" in the Hawg Trough. We landed other Rainbows and Grayling. Here's a picture of a Rainbow.

[IMG]

The next day we flew back to Anchorage and then home. I can hardly believe I was lucky enough to go on this trip.
  2. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Sweet report, love the pics to, sounds like a fun trip.
  3. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Too sweeeeeet, ya gotta take me next time.
    PM me with some details if ya get some extra time. Cost, who to contact, etc.
    And thanks for the great report.
  4. Stan Wright Member

Honolulu, Hawaii
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Great Pictures... Lake Illamna was my first trip to AK many years ago. Looks like you had as much fun as I did way back then. Thanks for the memories.