spawning patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by i8cadfly, Mar 13, 2002.

1. i8cadfly New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Does anyone have some insight as to exactly what time of year rainbow and cutthroat trout in west side lakes and reservoirs spawn? Do they spawn in feeder streams and tributaries or in the main body of water? Any help appreciated........ :DUNNO
  2. Flyfisher Frank New Member

HI, I'm far from an athority on trout spawning patterns, but I'll try to help with what I believe to be correct. I was talking with a lady today that owns a lodge in the interior of BC. Her place is at 4000 ft elevation, and she said the trout in Chaunigan Lake move into the feeder streams and the outlet stream as soon as the lake thaws off -usually by late May. She also said that when the lake level is too low that breeders can't get into the outlet and try to spawn along the shoreline.
    This information tells me a couple things. One is that not all the rainbows spawn at the same time, it might be they are weather (temperature) or altitude (thaw) scheduled. Don't know. There must be some fish that successfully spawn in some of the lakes as well. I believe there are some bodies of water that have self sustaining populations that don't have consistant inlet or outlet flows, they are spring fed. Just a guess, and we know that RBows and Cutts cross breed, but they might not have exactly the same spawning patterns. Not to complicate your question or anything. Try to avoid fish that are spawning, and practice catch and release until you get good at it. Then do it as much as you can. Flyfisher Frank :BIGSMILE
  3. i8cadfly New Member

Thanks Frank, you sound like a man that spent some time at the Sportsmans expo on Thursday. I will have to get down there this weekend. The knowledge and advise is appreciated. Aaron. :HMMM
  4. fishnfella New Member

Grand Coulee, Washington, USA.
    Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

According to the biologists I know, there is little or NO spawning in Washington lakes that don't have an inlet or outlet as regards rainbow or cutts or probably browns too. The fish get spawnbound looking for a suitable place to spawn and many die from it at 3 or 4 years of age. They can't reabsorb all that protien. There have been some experiments in BC to create aerated (from a compressor) gravel spawn beds in a lake so the trout can drop their eggs in such streamless lakes.

The exception is Brook trout which are actually char and do not have as critical of oxygen and temp. needs and spawn naturally in many of our high elevation lakes near lake springs. Their spawning success in low elevation lakes w/o stream access is also low, but may take place in some lakes.

Rainbow and Cutthroat are spring spawners and usually start with water temp around low 40's
    Browns and Brooktrout are fall spawners. :pROFESSOR