Spey Cast Fault Question

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Spencer Woods, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Spencer Woods

Spencer Woods Member

Media:
    Looking for some feedback on what I assunme is a fairly common spey cast fault.

One in about every 8 casts (at least today) on my forward cast my fly would drill the rod and get tangled up. I assume its the fly .......perhaps the sink tip itself. Frustrated the hell out of me. The other 5 casts were solid. Even when I slowed down and tried to bring things back together it would still happen.

I've got to be doing something wrong that requires a slight technique change.

Outside of that- hooked in to a bunch of Chum today on the Green. Was swinging leaches. Fish were everywhere.

Thanks for any feedback.

2. Jason Chadick

Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

I have that problem every once and a while and it seems like slowing down and really concentrating on my anchor placement and rod path gets me back in the game.

3. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    I was going to say the same thing as Jason in regards to the anchor placement. That's where I would start looking for the problem. What kind of cast were you trying to make? It doesn't seem very likely that it's the fly or the sink tip, but I'm not an expert.

4. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

Make sure you're not cutting the corner and coming vertical too soon. As they said slowing down and anchor placement are critical pieces.

GBeeman

5. Spencer Woods

Spencer Woods Member

Media:
    I will pay more attention to my anchor placement. That sounds like the most logic reason. Steffan I was doing the Double Spey. When I do the Snap-T..............it never happens. Only when I'm doing the Double Spey is when this challenge haunts me :) Thanks everyone for the feedback.

6. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

you need to SLOW DOWN for the double spey. Give it a 3 count while your D loop is on the h2o

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Easy to answer that one. "Form follows function" if you will. What you're doing is bringing the rod tip (out of the 'D loop') forward in to verticle a position (think straight up and down). As your coming forward cant the rod (tip) out 5 -10 degrees until it passes your face. At that point the line/fly is 'committed' to stay off to the side. After the 'past the face' coming into an 'up-right' also moves the rear of the line to the right/left and further gets it out of the way.

fae

Curro and Ian Broadie like this.
  8. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

If your hitting your rod tip you are most likely too vertical on your forward cast, try keeping the tip out to the side off vertical. Simple basic casting rule is that the line follows the rod tip.

Curro likes this.
  9. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Geez Fred were you reading my mind you beat me to posting by a second lol

10. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Brill minds all work alike.
    ;>)

11. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    This. Plus, it's interesting you mentioned it never happens with a snap t. That tells me you might be setting your anchor inside of the path of your forward stroke. In other words, if you're right handed, your fly is to the left of the rod path when going forward. A pause like Stilly mentions will definitely help as long as there's enough current to pull it down river far enough to correct it, but more importantly, pay attention when setting your anchor, not to pull it too far. If you do, roll cast down stream and start over.

fredaevans likes this.
  12. Spencer Woods

Spencer Woods Member

Media:
    This is making sense to me. Thank you! I will give it another go this week or weekend and see if I can take these suggestions to correction.

Again- appreciate it all very much! Thank you!

fredaevans likes this.
  13. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    I also agree with the anchor placement folks. Notice where your anchor is when you do a snap-T, and make sure that is where you put your fly when your doing the double. If your anchor is not right, everything else will be affected. If you've got a bad anchor keeping your tip 10 degrees out will still mess you up. I always use the 'train tracks' reference. You want to anchor to be parallel to your rod tip when it's ready to come out of the water and cast. Otherwise it'll cross paths with your rod tip resulting in the tangle, either around your rod or as it's casting. It's also important to note the speed of the water which will be moving your anchor placement. you could be casting just fine in faster water, then move to slower water and run into trouble because the flow is not moving your anchor during your castint stroke. Just my .02

14. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

As Matthew mentions, anchor placement is 'everything.' You hear about folks 'practice casting,' what they're really doing is getting the anchor placement down pat. Think of the tip of your rod as a rifle barrel, the tip is the rear site, the connection between your fly line/leader is the front site. With little leeway that's where your forward stroke should be aimed.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.
    fae

15. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

As everyone else has said, anchor placement is of paramount importance to the execution of a good DS cast. If the anchor is too close to your body, don't even think about making the cast. It will either hurt you, or hit the rod tip. What I tell people, is to watch the junction between floating line and sinking line.That is the anchor point! Let the river take it down past you before you begin the sweep. The other thing is do not try to cast over the anchor! This is difficult to explain in words. Better to have someone show you.

16. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Shiiiiiiiiish ... Just because Jimmie could stand, back to the river, and put a cast/fly down in 2 foot of its intended target doesn't mean he know's 'ship.' BEWARE if anything he tells you. HE IS DARTH VADER with a white beard.

Skywalkers, you have been warned!

fae