spey cast instruction video, opinions anyone?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by willapabay, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Hello everyone,

Could anyone please let me know what spey casting videos are out there that you have actually used and more important, found to be pretty good for instruction purposes.. I attended a class today, but I am one of those folks who has to visually see it many times and do it even more to sink into memory .. so I use videos for at least refresher purposes.. so please let me know of any good ones, VHS or DVD format..

Have a great Sunday, Ron on the Willapa

2. I'd Suggest:

1) Rio international Spey casting
    2) Modern Spey Castingand more by Dec Hogan
    3) Introduction to Spey Casting with John & Amy Hazel

Those are my three favorites. I'm sure others will have some good recomendations as well. :thumb:

3. Mel Kreiger (Sp?) ...Excellent video about spey casting ...demonstrations are easy to understand and I thought a great learning tool. Unfortunatley I really don't spey much anymore...I kinda got into it for a period and this video combined with one days lessons from Avid Angler got me going pretty good and very functional.

4. Spey Master Class with Derek Brown.:thumb:
    The Spey-o-Rama video is pretty good also.

5. The Rio videos with Simon Gawsworth are very helpful, but I'd skip the first one which is more an advertisment for Rio Lines. Go straight to "International Spey Casting" -- or whatever it's called. Next, I'd got to the Dec Hogan video which I've never seen. Huh? Well, after studying the Rio video and fishing for awhile I went and fished with Dec and it was very enlightening. He taught me not to get too hung up on the RULES of spey casting, and to find good working casts that you're comfortable fishing with. Some of these British guys will have thinking you're doing it wrong if your right foot isn't forward of your left foot when casting with a downriver wind on river-left-bank; or, if you can't balance a glass of scoth on your head through your casting stroke, well then "that's not cricket, old chap." And blah, effing blah. Christ, save the scotch for after fishing, and that's essentially what Dec teaches. Gawsworth teaches some good fundamentals which you can then learn to ignore as you get better.

Don't be discouraged with it at first. Probably the best thing to understand about spey casting is les is more. It's a beautiful thing when it all comes together.

Cheers,
    daniel

6. I posed the same question a week ago and the concensus between the forum and friends was the Derek Brown video. I have a question though..... I was told by speyer that there is a difference between people who are in it for casting and other who utilize casts for actually catching fish, he explained that Derek Brown fell under the first. Anyway I ordered the Brown video and I'll report my findings. The further I get into this spey thing the more I realize how many aspects to it there are.

7. I too attended a class Saturday (River Run Anglers Saturday on the River) and I too am one of those folks who has to visually see it many times and do it even more to sink into memory. It is clearly a sport where you need to embed the motion into your brain so you don't even think about it when you cast. Yesterday, my head hurt from concentrating on the elements of the cast (the easist cast there is) for two hours straight. My arms don't feel too hot either. Clearly working too hard. Aaron must have told me I was too tense and trying too hard 50 times.

I bought Introduction to Spey Casting with John & Amy Hazel and it helped my at least understand concepts and terms. I bought it on the recommendation that it was good for beginners. I find it explains things clearly and slowly. I plan on watching it 500 more times.

It is amazing to watch people who make this look easy and graceful. I honestly thought that once I tried a cast, I would think, "this isn't so hard". Wrong. Well, gotta go, need to get the river to practice.

8. Not to proselytize here, but I have to add that the real moment of clarity in spey casting came for me after spending about a week fishing up in the Michigan when I lived in the Midwest. The steelhead runs in a river like the Manistee are frequently 8-12 feet deep, so swinging a tip isn't all that efficient. But that's what I did, and those long days without a take really helped me to let go of the thought process and feel the cast --I know, I sound like some sort of Star Wars nut. But honestly, the best casts are the ones you've stopped thinking about -- they are, incidentally, also the ones when the fish tend to take. (IME, anyway).
    dan'l

9. Danl: Good example of how effortless casting takes a tremendous amount of time, patience, practise and effort to accomplish.

Gary Lafontaine's company; "The Book Mailer", recently featured a special offering on spey materials, two dvd's and a pocket field reference from Simon Gawesworth on the major steps of each spey cast, for on the water reference. This handbook might be very helpful. The dvd, I am told is very good too.

I like Derek Brown for his old fashioned approach and style, a firm foundation for any beginner. Simon has a very good way of presenting things and his recent vidoe work is superb. When you get into fishing steep and deep cold water, like we have around here, you will most likely move toward the modern Pacific Northwest spey adaptations like the Skagit casts and rods, modified sinking and shooting lines and heads etc to support it.

10. As mentioned before, I really like Rio International Spey casting, they not only demonstrate how to casts, but they also troubleshoot common problems and how they happen. It helped me a lot.

11. I disagree with the above statements that Derek Brown is "old fashioned casting" and that he is not a fisherman but a caster.
    What is wrong with being both? Learn how to cast well and you will be a better fisherman in the long run.:thumb:

12. I like the Hazel video. They have good video footage of the basic casts. However, my finger hovers over the MUTE button quite a bit when I have it on.

I really enjoy the Dec Hogan video. Not only do you get some casting instruction, you get some information about casting in difficult fishing situations, and how to approach the water, wading, and flies. You also get to see him catch a couple of nice steelhead.

13. I took a lesson from a scottish guy this fall and in no way did I get the impression I had to stand on a glass of scotch to do it well. As a matter of fact it was much easier than I had originally anticipated. His teaching method was extremely easy to learn from. I am a visual learner but I had no problem following his instruction as I was casting. There is a certain fluidity in language use and physical demeanor that good instructors of all kind must have - they must be approachable and not come off as tho they are standing on a podeum looking down on everyone. This instructor was none of that, very easy to get along with, knew the history inside and out and even knows things no local knows. For an absolute beginner, picking up a rod and casting a decent cast with no prior instruction.. that is impressive. I'm not the easiest student..lol

IMO - The advantage to learning from a ghillie is not only beneficial for those wishing to learn the history of Spey fishing, but also because they've been fishing this way for 100z of years, they have already been through the infintile stage of "if this doesn't work, try this" as is happening here. It's done a certain way because that is the tried and true way of more than a 100 years. The only reason anyone has anything to build on here is because the technique was already honed over there - so don't be so quick to knock them. As for my instructor.. I drink more scotch than he does LOL :beer2:

14. I agree with BigK1 in that the Derek Brown video (now on DVD) is the finest teaching tool for learning to spey cast. Derek is definitely not "old fashioned" if you can cast like Derek you can cast any rod and line combination made. In addition, I know for a fact that Derek is one of the finest licensed instructors and atlantic salmon fishermen in Scotland.

Regards,

15. there any number of distance casters who tend to perform at the various spey clinics held in the PNW. i have found very few of them to be good teachers. you can watch two folks make exactly the same cast and then tell you two completely different stories as to how you should do it.

i would start with the hazel DVD. learn a single left bank and right bank cast. learn a single method of dealing with an upriver or downriver wind.

then go fish.

you can come back to the DVD a hundred times after, but if you stick with a very limited number of casts that work for you, you will be well on your way to happy fishing.

as time goes by, you may choose to add other techniques, but you should not try and get all the casts down pat to begin with, way too frustrating.