spey casting rods, opinions on Scott and Fly Logic

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by willapabay, Oct 23, 2005.

1. willapabay New Member

RAYMOND, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am looking at some of the spey rods on the market that will let me get into spey type casting and still not break the bank.. I would probably prefer a 14' 9 wt. but will be fishing mostly on the Cowlitz and smaller rivers for Cutthroat and even a steelhead if I should be so lucky.

I ahve noticed on Ebay and elsewhere some rods for sale, One such rod is a FLy Logic 1308-4. and the other I saw was a Scott ARC Spey Rod, 13 ft, 9 weight, 3 piece .. I am not sure how versitle a 13' 8 or 9 wt is but these seem to be something to consider ,

I know there have probably been more than one posting about what spey cast rod to buy, but here is another request, any suggestions on what to buy for an entry level rod . As far as single handed fly rods, I prefer mine to be of medium-fast action.. I really don't like a really stiff rod that feels more like a 2x4 than a rod.. Are there any Sage rods worth considering in the $400.00 price range new or used.. thanks for all you advice, Ron

If you prefer, feel free to email me personally at kinfolk@centurytel.net
  2. SpokaneFisherman Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    I have a Fly Logic Dec Hogan 13ft 7wt and really like. It's definitely a slower/progressive action rod. I do almost all of my steelhead fishing on the Ronde and don't feel the need for a heavier/longer rod. Also being a relatively new caster I like being able to feel the rod load.

Can't speak for the scott since I've never cast one. As for a Sage in the $400 range I'd consider the FLI. :thumb:
  3. CaddisMadness Fly Fishing in Patagonia: A Trout Bum's Guide

Seattle/Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I used to have a ARC spey rod that had terrible problems w/ breaking. It was a really shitty rod, i woudlnt' recommend it. The cheaper SAS rods are better
  4. FLGator Member

PNW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    The TFO two handers are great performing rods at a great price point and a lifetime warranty. Lined properly, you will have a rod that will allow you to learn and enjoy spey casting. They have rods from a 12' 6" 6 wt to a 15' 10wt including a 14' 9wt that might be right up your alley based on what action single handers you prefer. There are a couple Spey specific shops that would are willing to send demo rods and lines to you for you to try before you buy.

One of the TFOs would be my choice.

Chris
  5. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    The flylogic 13' 8wt Dec Hogan may be my favorite rod. It's light, responsive, and with a little practice, shooting 20 to 25 feet of line is doable for just about anyone. It is faster than the 7wt, noticeably so, and maybe a little slower than the 14' 9. Even though there are people who talk about "sending the backing knot shooting through the tip top", a 54' head, 20 feet of running line, and 12 feet of leader is huge distance to be fishing, enough for a big river like the Cowlitz, and that distance is really doable with this rod for most folks with some practice. The 14 foot 9 weight is a great rod too, and they show up on EBay for about $20 more than the 8 wt from the same retailer. Email them and ask.

The scott rods are great, although twice as expensive. The $500+ line of rods is actually faster than the $750 dollar line, if you like that sort of thing, but for day in and day out fishing, fast is overrated as far as my preferences go. The ARC 15' 9wt is a legendary rod and its fans rarely part with them, so it's hard to find a used one. The 7wt ARC is also super popular.

Both are great companies and great rods. Neither will disappoint you. If you are going to stay with 55' foot heads and Skagit style lines the Fly logic 13' 8 will carry through the whole year. If you like longer lines and more traditional styles, you're probably right to go with a 14' or 15' 9 rod, but either one is going to not be much fun for cutthroat I'm afraid.
  6. Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Another rod you could consider would be the St. Croix 7/8 13'6". It is a nice rod for the price range, about $200.00. It would be a little heavy for sea-runs but would work nicely with 90% of the steelhead fishing you'd be doing out here. This rod has enough back bone to throw tips.
  7. Blake Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    From a retailer perspective: Fly Logic has been a really crappy company to deal with so I wouldn't recommend their stuff. They haven't put out a new catalog since 2001 and I'd be surprised if they are even still around in a couple years. With that said....

someone mentioned the St. Croix for under $200. Can't go wrong with that!
  8. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    Willapabay,

If you are looking for a rod to fish in both summer and winter on the Cowlitz, the 14' 9 wt would be a better choice because you will be asking the rod to cast large flies from #2 up to at least #2/0 for winter steelhead and the 9 wt is better at tossing such big irons.

Based upon what you said about the single-hand rod action you prefer, I'd recommend you avoid the Fly Logic and ECHO 2-handers because they are of the softer, bend to the cork variety (which most people erroneously refer to as progressive, when in fact, they are regressive actions). The TFO and St. Croix 2-hand actions might suit you because they are a little less flexible than the Fly Logic and ECHO; but not by much. The TFO's and old St. Croix Imperial 2-handers (the St. Croix you are seeing for sale under $150.00) are still a pretty flexible rod and not of the medium-fast variety at all, more of a moderate action, which might be fine for you.

The Scott SAS and the new Scott LS2 2-handers are of the medium-fast variety and are very nice spey casting rods. The Scott ARC 2-handers are more moderate-actioned rods. The Loomis GL3 2-handers are also of the medium-fast variety. The new St. Croix 2-handers (they sell for $350.00 give or take a little, which is more than the old St. Croix Imperial 2-handers $250.00 give or take sold for) are a moderately-fast rod and would probably be to your liking. You could also either build one on a Forecast blank or have someone build one for you on the Forecast blank, which are of the moderate action 2-handers. The Loop Blue Series 9140 is a very nice medium-fast 2-hander that you would probably be very happy with and they show up on ebay quite often at very reasonable prices, just make sure it is the Loop Blue and not the fast Green, slow Yellow, or moderate Grey. Redington has some very nice medium-fast 2-handers that are priced around $350.00 that would be worth you looking at.

Regarding you question on Sage 2-handers that fit your single-hand preference, avoid the old Sage 9140-4 and 7136-4 "brownie" rods because they are among the slowest of the slow 2-handers ever made. The new Sage "green" or "torquise" or "olive" 9140-4 are very different from the original 9140-4 "brownie. These might be to your liking, although they are of the more moderate action, and not medium-fast. The Sage 9141 is a fine medium-fast 2-hander, which unfortunately most people (including Sage itself) describes as a fast-action 2-hander, when it really isn't fast, it is on the slow side of medium-fast. Snowbee is another very good medium-fast 2-hander.

The true fast-action 2-handers are made by T&T, Loomis (the GLX's and Alta's), Sage TCR series, Loop Green series, Carron, Meiser Highlander series.

I appologize for the long-windedness of this, and I hope you and others find it useful.
  9. marcopolo Member

Your City ,State
    One thing to consider is that Scott takes about 8 weeks for any repair work. Their website claims 2 to 4 weeks turnaround which is a lie. TFO will have a brand new rod in your hand in 5-6 buisness days.
    One of the reasons Scott takes that much time for repair work is that they actually repair the rods by matching a new section to your rod. TFO does not do repairs and will send you a new one (probably made in China).
  10. michaeldeg New Member

bremerton, wa
    For a lower priced rod, I would reccomend sage st croix and maybe temple fork rods. As far as which one, would depend on what type of fishing you do. You stated that your primary catch would be SRC. That said stick with a 6 or 7 weight. Anything heavier is overkill. When you start getting into 8 and 9 weights, steelhead are the primary catch, not SRC. The size of fly combined with how long your intended casting length really dictates the length and line weight of the rod.

SRC flies are usually under size 2. The average length of casting on the Cowlitz for SRC won't exceed 80 feet, so a 13 to 13'6" rod in the 6 or 7 weight range would be ideal. It would certainly work for most steelhead, but more suited for the fish that you intend to mainly persue.
  11. sickclown Banned or Parked

Buffalo, NY
    I got the cabellas two hand recently for 99 bucks. It's the only spey I've ever used but it feels like a 600 dollar rod compared to the 35 dollar fleuger I was using
  12. michaeldeg New Member

bremerton, wa
    Glad to hear that you are liking the Cabellas rod. Just about any spey rod if properly balanced with the right line will easily cast the 60-90 foot range with very little effort. Spending more money on a rod doesn't always equate to longer casting, or even easier casting.

More money would almost always get you a prettier rod, with maybe more expensive components. It usually is made with a little more attention to detail, and generally speaking would be made with a higher modulous graphite, which in turn might recover slightly quicker. More money would usually mean getting a more specialized rod, but that is really about it.
  13. CaddisMadness Fly Fishing in Patagonia: A Trout Bum's Guide

Seattle/Bellingham, WA
    I can second that. I currently have a 9' 4 wt s3 that i have been waiting two months to get back - and i still dont' have it. If you break your ARC spey rod you'll be shit out of luck for most of the season (it's happened to me). I will never buy a Scott or recommend one again.
  14. Big K1 Large Member

Duvall, WA, U.S.A.
    That is why it is good to have a back up or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5..........:D
  15. circlespey Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I'm not just trying to be contrarian here, but...

I love my Scott spey rods, have caught most of my steelhead in my life on them, have only broken one (my fault, not the rod) in seven years, and the one repair was fast and comprehensive. I have one St. Croix that I have broken twice while casting (which I consider the rod's fault much of the time) and will never fish again.

The ebay listing is for a Scott 13 foot ARC. Unless the listing is wrong on the rod length, that ARC is an 8 weight (there is no 13 foot Arc 9 weight), so I think the listing is inaccurate.

The Scott 1308-3 ARC is one of the best and most versatile rods I have ever fished; I have fished it with everything from dry flies and floating lines to heavy tips and lead eyes. For me it has landed everything from 4 pound Deschutes or Ronde fish to 27 pound Skeena system fish. If I didn't already have one I would probably buy it myself. The other comparable ARC, the 1287-3, is much lighter and has a lot less backbone. The 1308 is a pretty serious, beefy stick, and probably has the fastest action of any of the ARC spey rods.

Circlespey
  16. CaddisMadness Fly Fishing in Patagonia: A Trout Bum's Guide

Seattle/Bellingham, WA
    To each their own. I've just had bad experiences with Scott and have heard similar stories from several others. Even if some people think it's a great rod, the 2-3 month turn-around time on a breakage is unacceptable in my opinion, especially for the premium price. However, my 9'6" 8 SAS has caught more fish and seen more punishment than any of my other rods, and has held up great. Those rods are pretty much indestructable - it's the fancy S3 and ARC rods that seem to be too fragile. Then again, i got them when they were a relatively new product line so maybe some design issues had to be worked out.
  17. Big K1 Large Member

Duvall, WA, U.S.A.
    Circlespey,

Glad to here you still have my old rod. It looks like you have bent it to the cork many times.:thumb:
  18. michaeldeg New Member

bremerton, wa
    I had a scott arc 15' #9 that broke the 1st time I used the rod. This was a few years ago. Scott quickly replaced the rod, and upon getting it back, I ended up selling it. I would say that I loved the feel and weight of the rod. Over the years I have purchased about 5 or 6 different Scott rods. I have been happy with all but the 15 footer.
  19. willapabay New Member

RAYMOND, WA.
    With all that advice given, what TFO spey/ two hander Rod do you own and how do you like it.. I have not seem any or little negative feedback about TFO single handed Rods.. I think my intrest is in a 14' 9wt.
    I also see you all have good comments about GL Loomis, but they seem to be on the high end with sage rods..
  20. Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Bremerton, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I tried a 14' TFO this past weekend and found it comfortable and smooth casting for even the rank beginner like myself. At a quoted $250 from the factory Rep, it was the least costly of the spey rods available. Add to that a large arbor reel, a Rio wind cutter w/ tips and you would have a decent set up for most any westside river. IMHO