Spey casting with a full vest ...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by msteudel, Oct 31, 2004.

1. msteudel Mark Steudel

Seattle.
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    So today was my second day casting a spey rod and while the basic cast isn't even close to natural, I found that a full vest that I normally wear when using a single handed rod, really got in the way. I ended up taking my vest off and throwing it on shore, while I fished. What do other spey casters wear, and have you found similiar experiences?

Mark

PS Landed one chum today and ldr'd a few others on the snoq.
  2. DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

Washington.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi Mark,

I had similar issues with my vest and recently picked up a "sling pack". Orvis makes one, and another one that the good folks that Kaufmanns recommend is the William Joseph Satchel.
  3. Brian Simonseth Banned or Parked

Skagit, Stillaguamish mostly
    how about a fanny pack from Wally-World, thats what I've been using for years. :cool:
  4. TWD Travis

Kirkland, WA
    anti vest

I have those new simms waders that offer a couple of pouches. with two pockets there is no need for a vest .... one fly box, nippers, and a hook file, some tippet and a couple of leaders and the multi tip system ... that's it. I've gone to wader with a quick reach necklace and that's it. Makes the rainjacket alot more comfortable.

when boating added a dry bag clipped onto the pontoon with lunch and a little more gear and good to go

Some of the newer waders might be worth a investment over a jacket. I may even try to downsize my trout fishing to no vest; now how to cram 150 flies in one box :)

Travis
  5. msteudel Mark Steudel

Seattle.
    Seems like I need less gear, instead of ALL the stuff I bring when I go trout fishing .... maybe I haven't accumlated enough gear yet.
  6. Big K1 Large Member

Duvall, WA, U.S.A.
    I have a old Flambeau fanny pack that I wear. The sling packs look pretty cool. You don't need to carry much stuff.
  7. willieboat Member

Lacey, WA
    Keep your vest! You are used to having certain items in your old vest. Not bringing it will insure that you forget your license, lead, file, gum, pliers, or knife.
    You will find that extending your arms will help you get a much better feel for spey casting. Get that upper hand all the way to the top of your forward grip. The lower hand is your "pull hand," keep it above your waist.
    Gotta get used to swinging a big stick!

Don
    :thumb:
  8. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    I basically agree with willieboat. I've found that both a vest and a large chest pouch can be used, although they try to grab at my hands occasionally; especially the pouch. With a vest, I've moved some thick little boxes from my bottom outside pockets to the upper pockets. I cast with a considerable amount of freeform arm and hand movement anyway, not the precise, repetitive Scandinavian, or underhand, style.

Perhaps the perfect body-luggage for spey fishing has yet to be invented. How about something closer to a bird hunter's vest, that moves the pockets to the sides and back, with some kind of easy-rotating suspension system?
  9. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    First of all for steelhead you only need ONE box of flies, a few leaders, tippet material, nippers and pliers. Okay, so I often carry 3 boxes, and some of them are 9" by 6" :rofl: But the fact remains you only need one.

Alot of folks hold the bottom of the spey rod butt cap cupped in the palm of their bottom hand to keep things away from themselves a little more, and to keep the end cap from getting caught on anything as they cast.

Just wait for February when you've got on two sweaters, a big coat, and a loaded vest. Might as well quite now and give me your gear :thumb:
  10. msteudel Mark Steudel

Seattle.
    Thanks for all the ideas ... I think I just need to leave all my other fly boxes at home. That would seriously decrease the amount of stuff in my way ...
  11. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Eventually you'll reach a point where you own enough fly boxes that you can't possibly carry them all with you all the time. From then on, you'll bring only what you need and your neck and shoulders will thank you.
  12. msteudel Mark Steudel

Seattle.
    Yeah, like did I really need to bring my whole trout nymph box with me? No ... at least I left the dry fly box at home ....
  13. windtickler Member

Ratings: +2 / 0
    Spey Cast

It seems to me that in either spey or single handed if you cast from your hips, you hardly need to move your arms at all. Easiest way to do that is just turn your body to watch your backcast. Basically, I think that's the idea behind a classic spey although you can get really confused with "underhand" "overhand" inside out and whatever else this weeks flavor is to fix flaws. That sais, I use a fanny pack and never had any trouble except catching the occaisional fly in the back of the head.
  14. Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

I like to carry one box of flies and one spool of tippet. I also carry a wallet that contains the various heads in case I need to change up. I hate using a vest and have become very minimalist in my fishing for steelhead and throwing a spey rod. I find that the butt of the rod gets in the way as I make the casts and makes it uncomfortable. If a pack is needed, I would suggest a small fanny pack or side pack.
  15. Befishin Member

Montesano, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    On another Spey problem

I have been having a problem using sinking leaders and flys with a shot on them. I can't seem to get the whole mess out of the water long enough to make a decent cast. Since I'm in a DB most of the time I have to draw the line back up stream and then attempt to cast back up stream (double Spey I think) before the 4 feet of type 6 and 6 feet of tippet sink with fly and shot thus making an impossble haul of the anchor. I've been using an uncut Windcutter 7/8/9 on a ST Croix 14' 9 wt. Any one got any ideas on cuting the line, using less sinktip or maybe a helium balloon? :beathead:
  16. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +680 / 5
    I usually keep it pretty simple. I mostly use a vest when I'm either fishing both gear/fly or strictly gear. With flyfishing, I keep it pretty simple. In fact, alot of times I'm in the boat rowing, so usually just grab a small amount of stuff that'll fit into my shirt pockets. I'm actually looking at the William Joseph stuff myself. Like the looks of the smaller ones. Would work great for me.
  17. troutman101 Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Mark,

I might suggest the following:

All gear; Put in your ski pack or small daypack. Put electronics (camera+lenses) into the small Pelican cases, the clothes into the Exped waterproof stuff sacks and anything you dont mind getting wet you can pack straight in (i.e.- rain coat, spare spools, etc) You can go as minimal or as big as you want but it won't interfere with your casting nor will you risk faulty pockets spilling gear from your vest. When you are doing a lot of fly or line system swapping, keep only the tools and flies necessary to do the transactions and leave the rest in storage. The camera case is great for being on-route when you risk taking a dunk or taking hard falls the most. They are very tough and reliable for protecting your digital camera.
  18. msteudel Mark Steudel

Seattle.
    Thatsounds good (My brother just gave us a exped dry sack), though I've come to really like having my tools in a vest handy, maybe I'll wear the vest minus all the fly boxes, or look into a neck lanyard ...