Spey Clave--Who went/What did you learn?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by TallFlyGuy, May 16, 2006.

1. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Who all went? Anything there that isn't available to the public now, but soon will be?

What did you learn?

Tall

2. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    Some of the stuff that was there is available to the public now. GLoomis, Sage, Hardy all had stuff that is available now.
    CND and Meiser both had rods that are avavilable now and a number of rods that were not.
    I personally learned that Meiser and CND have the best rods available. I can't describe their action as well as Kristen, Ron and Flybill- who all tried them out, but they are smooth and accurate.

3. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Media:
    Home Page:
    The 'Clave was great. Phenomenal weather, great people - really a nice time. Ron and I rolled in Friday evening and camped at Oxbow thru the weekend.

As far as new stuff....well, we cast the new CND Black Series rods - its the second time i've got to cast these rods, and they are just flat out a sweet series. Sloan called it right on - smooth and accurate. I especially like the 14' and 15'. We paired up the new CND lines with lots of different rods, they are an excellent line - and really matched well with some of the Bob Meiser rods. There's a 14' 7wt Meiser Highlander paired with a CND line that won my vote for best rod there. Other noteable callouts (in my book): i tried a 14' Burkie, a couple nice Winstons (my favorite was paired with a Loop Adapted Line), and a 12'6 Highlander VX (may have been a prototype). Hey - last mention - i tried out some new Teeny Spey lines. They paired up nicely with the TFO Skagit rod.

LOTS of toys, the event is a great opportunity to learn, test different rods and see some great demos. Not to mention, hang with a fun group of people.

4. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    I learned that the guys from All About the Fly are a very nice group. I enjoyed visiting with them a great deal.

Most of the tackle on display I knew about already but we tried the new Teeny spey lines and went by Gresham on our way home and picked some up for the shop.

I cast the TFO Skagit rod some more and think TFO has a winner with it.
    I tried out the Nextcast long bellies from Simon Hsieh. If you are into BIG sticks and long bellies these lines rock.

I brought home a Meiser 16'-7/8/9 Highlander for my demo fleet.
    I got to meet Bill Bakke, long time wild steelhead advocate from the Native Fish Society. We had a couple of great chats.

I don't usually watch the jedi's although I enjoy visiting with them. To me seeing old friends and making new ones is the best part about the Sandy Spey Clave.

Mark Bachmann and his group run a very smooth event. It is very much worth anyone's while to attend at least once.

The Clearwater Spey Clave is the 23rd of Sept, 2006 at Lenore, ID. Mrs RedShed and I would love to see all of you there.

5. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    iagree
    That rod was out of sight.

6. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Woodstock of the Spey

I went down to the beach armed with some of my own lines as well as a Nextcast 7/8 (prototype), CND Gravity point line, a Vision Scando head and a S.A. 450 gr Skagit head. Tried these out on one of my rods as well as a Meiser MKS, CND North Fork, Solstace 15'-2" & the new black series, and an Echo rod. Gary Andserson's rods were so popular, I couldn't get my hands on anything. But he is close to me so I can maybe play with some of his stuff at home.

I only made a few casts with the CND gravity point line. One of the nice things about the Gravity point lines is the tip is looped at 20' so you can change over to a sink tip.The Nextcast was a very good line on the Solstace. Wish I had been on river right so I could have really worked it. Also would like to have been able to try that Nextcast line with a sink tip. I hope those things show up on the board for try outs like the XLT's. How about it Sean,,,,Simon?

The rest of what I played with were Skagit setups with sink tips. (with the exception of the Vision line which had a regular 15' leader mono attached) All of the rods were nice casting rods. I will probably get one of the new S.A. Skagit heads when they become available.

GF & I brought the motorhome & pets so we were unable to camp in the park,,,,with the Squirrels & the WFB club. Mike Kinney & I spent a day together. Joked about what nice bushy tails the (real) squirrels had. (I have an eye for good tail(s)) Mike got out his knife, said something about mumbly peg and we joked some more about a new species of bob tailed squirrel that might be seen at Oxbow park.:eek:

Got to see a lot of old friends again, missed a few who couldn't make it. Talked to a guy who came all the way from Conn. for this. (stripping basket and all) Even got to fish for a few hours. Oh yeah,,,Ed Ward was modeling his Guideline waders.;)

The North Santiam Spey Casters did a pancake & sausage breakfast both Sat & Sun. G. Loomis did Sat. evening BBQ and fed us leftovers for lunch on Sunday. Mark, Patti & Crew put on an excellent show, good food & top of the line hospitality. Thank you all.

The name Sandy Clave does not do this event justice. I have been to every one of them & they just keep getting better. This is truely the Woodstock of the Spey. We turned down a chance to float the Wild & Scenic section of the Rogue as well as Mothers day brunch at the countrry club for this. GF says I owe her big time for that. So If you don't see me next year you know why.:beer1:

7. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Woodstock of the Spey

Anybody remember the song "Rocksalt and Nails"? :rofl:

8. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:

JD, You are right. She gave up time at the CC with her kids so you could look at all that great tackle. You owe her BIG time my friend. I think you should repay her by buying her a new spey rod:cool:

9. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Woodstock of the Spey

Sorry Speyfisher, I couldn't resist reading "between the lines". :beer2: :thumb:

I really wanted to go this year, but it fell on Mothers day Weekend. I wanted to cast a few Meiser rods. Now I'm really curious about CND's Lines. Maybe next year.

Tall

10. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Tall if you have any rods that use a 9/10 line I have a CND demo line that I'll send over for you to take a week long test drive. It is out for a another week but then it will be available. The CND lines are awesome.

Meiser has some hot new sticks. I brought a 16'-7/8/9 6 piece Highlander home for the demo fleet. Coupled with a Nextcast or CND line this thing is a dry line dream.:cool:

11. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Woodstock of the Spey

Wasn't that a Gordon Lightfoot song? I had it on an album by JD Crow & the New South. One of the hot bluegrass bands back in the mid 70's. When I was into bluegrass, my buddy & I used to do that song a lot.