spey for steelhead

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Ryan Nathe, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

did nathe ever get a speyrod?

2. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

iagree

I think the two 'quotes' above pretty well sum up 'what rod should I use, and when.' On one hand the Rogue can have very low flows (as low as 800-900 cfs) late in the summer due to 'dam control' and the Deschutes (also dam controlled) will easily have 5 times the amount of water coming down stream.

Would a 9wt 15' spey be "over kill" in one river and quite appropriate on the other? I'd think so.

3. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Joan says: "One more post like the above and I'm going to put Red Shed on your 'ignore postings list.' :hmmm:

Sounds just like a woman doesn't it .... (but what she doesn't know about is the new 16' spey I picked up from Bob Meiser last month ... sn igger, sn igger.:thumb: )

4. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    Cascadekiller, I have yet to get a spey rod, I will probably continue to use a single hander until my arm falls off, I just like the feel of a fish on a shorter rod more, I also like the feel of a good double haul. Realistically in a few years when I have money I will probably get one and try it on the Skagit and Sauk.

5. bigtj

bigtj Member

Media:
    Nathe,

If you like the feel of a good double haul, wait until you get a fast-actioned 2-hander to flex down into the but with a big 'ol D-loop. It's like launching the space shuttle!

Good luck to you,

-John

6. TomB

TomB Active Member

nathe- if you dont have a 2-hander how can you say, "I just like the feel of a fish on a shorter rod more?" Have you caught one on a 2-hander? I like the feel of a good double haul too, but having switched to spey, i like the feel of a good double spey even better.
    -T

7. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

First let me start off with I don't fish or own a spey rod however it has been my observation that it is the angler not the size of the rod that determines whether a fish is "over-played" or not. I have seen anglers baby fish to exhaustion (death?) with 12 weight rods and others land 20 pounders on 5 weights without apparent adverse effects. As I have mentioned before a good test on your fishing playing skills with your rod of choice is whether there ever is the need to "revive" fish prior to release. If you need to do so then IMHO you are "over-playing" your fish regardless of the tackle used. Maybe a discussion on fishing play would be an interesting topic for another day.

However I think many are missing the real point here. Remember the role of tackle we choose to fish with is merely a tool to present our fly to our quarry. I doubt even the most successful of you spend as much as 10% of your time on the water with a steelhead attached to your line. The rest of the time you are just fishing. Maybe your choice of a fishing tool should be designed to make that fishing as enjoyable/successful as possible as long as when you do connect you can handle the fish with minimal damage.

Tight lines
    Curt

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    iagree :thumb: :beer2: :beer2: I couldn't agree more.

Tom, you can get an idea on how a rod will work, even if you haven't actually "fished" one. I use speys, and they handled EXACTLY the way I'd thought. I too prefer to use a single hander the majority of the time, but love using my speys on those tight banked slots where even a roll cast with a longer single hander is a bit "short" on the cast. I've only been using speys about 7 years now, so not an expert by now means (and not using it 100% of the time either). Each rod has it's place, and I use them all for the conditions I'm fishing. I've met quite a few who used speys (even had training on them, some going to Aaron at the speyshop) and gave them up. Know others who switched and never looked at the single handers again. It's all in the person who's fishing.

Myself, I'm all with Curt. Couldn't have said it anybetter myself (and those who have seen my garage and tackle setup, knows I'm setup for whatever conditions are thrown at me).

9. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    TomB- I have caught a small steelhead on a double hander since starting this thread over a year ago! (wow long thread). It was a 7 weight double hander. I have to say it is fun to cast those rods even though I am not very good at it. But the fight felt so foreign and it was hard to bring to hand due to the long length of the rod. I like how I can put a huge bend in my 9 foot 8 weight, which I couldnt with the big rod. Speys have there place but they aren't for me, at least not yet, one day I may see the light.

Smalma, I have to say that I disagree with your assumption that tackle is only made to present the fly to the fish. Yes that is part of it but a bigger part for me is the "feel" I have with certain rods. I could present a clouser to a 16 inch coho on a 12 weight, but why the hell would I want to do that? Sure I could cast further with it especially into the wind, but I actually want to feel the fish too.