spey in AK

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by narwhal, Mar 16, 2006.

1. narwhal Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Anyone used a spey rod much up here in AK? I guess I would say most specifically for the Kenai. I would think it would be nice having the extrra length for drifting beads to bows and dollies. Would a light rod be best for this? 7-8wt range? So that te 20-22" fish are still fun to fight? Any thoughts?

narwhal
  2. crobarr New Member

hillsboro, oregon
    if your mostly fishing fairly "up close", then a full blow spey rod might be a bit much. a switch rod might serve you better.

if your fishing 1/2 way across the river and beyond, then a spey would work very nice. all this IMHO of course. i personally find 2 handers a pain at short range (i'm also new to 2 handers, but lots of single hand time).

i have a 13' 7/8 st. croix spey rod and it'll whoop up on chums, but bigger searun cuts are still fairly fun if that gives you an idea. 6-7 would be perfect imo if salmon aren't an issue.

switch rods can be used for "spey casts" or overhead. you have several choices, the 3 that immediatly come to mind are:
    cabela's 11'3" "single hander" - it's a switch rod (listed with there 2 handers) -less than $200
    gloomis 11" Nativerun GLX Single Spey - just under $700
    meiser switch rods- $400-550 (depends on if you want to do any wrapping yourself) he is THE man to talk to about switch rods, and his are great looking rods to boot.

now hopefully someone with intimate knowledge of such things will chime in and get specific, and point out anything wrong i may have inadvertantly said here....... it's the middle of the night and could happen.. ;)
  3. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Don't forget the Beulah switch rods.

You also have to include the "trout speys", (sorry Bob) from Sage, Loomis, Scott, CND, and Gary Anderson, to name a few.
  4. bigtj Member

Victoria, BC
    By the Kenai I'm assumign you mean the upper. I don't fish a genuine 2-hander for trout very much in AK, or anywhere for that matter. I don't like the way bigger rods handle indicator set-ups, they are way too clunky and heavy. They do really well for big fish prior to runoff chasing outgoing smolts, or late in the season with sculpins or big hunks of flesh, but those a specialized situations with a short window. When they sockeye are around - much of the season - you're going to have to worry about snagging fish, too, if you're swinging flies for rainbows. Most of the time it seems trout up there want flesh or eggs or a stripped (fast moving) leech, all of which are more effectively fished on a single hander or a switch rod. However, if you know of a situation where trout up there like a swung fly, and the fish are consistently big (who want to catch a 16" rainbow on 2-hander? I don't) then a 2-hander can be a good tool to have in your arsenal. For the type of fishing you're talking about, an 11 or 12' 7 or 8 wt switch rod is a much better tool.

Overall, I think the ideal situation in AK for a 2-hander is swinging big marabous or leeches near tidewater to running Steelhead, Kings, Chums and Silvers, in clear water and places where there aren't a lot of fish spawning. Those fish respond really well to the swung fly and a true 2-hander will reall shine.

Best,

-John
  5. kenai New Member

pa
    i fish the kenai every year for several weeks and my fav is a 10' for a 6 weight
    line. not much distance fishing! big fish!! my biggest is a 12lb bow, get ready
    that rivers a lot of fun. best thing to do is contact 'trout fitters'in cooper landing
    and see if you can hook up with josh hayes or billy, two of the best on the river
    and they will give you great direction. good luck kenai river fishin' tony