spey line chart

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Porter, Dec 23, 2009.

1. posted this on the vps thread but maybe others might see it on it's own thread ..... found on an oregon store site. Appears to be a good foundation. Maybe something like this or a chart of some sort could be added to the article/info section.

Based on the McCune-O’Donnell formula, Rod/Line match ups work out as follows:

7-weight rod matched with a 450 grain (7/8) Skagit line.

Rod length 13’6’’ or under go with straight Skagit 450 (no cheaters).

Rod length 14’ formula = 450 Skagit plus 5 (5 foot cheater).

Rod length 15’ formula = 450 Skagit plus 10 (10 foot cheater).

8-weight rod matched with 550 grain (8/9) Skagit line.

Rod length 13’6’’ or under go with straight Skagit 550 (no cheaters).

Rod length 14’ formula = 550 Skagit plus 5 (5 foot cheater).

Rod length 15’ formula = 550 Skagit plus 10 (10 foot cheater).

9-weight rod matched with 650 grain (9/10) Skagit line.

Rod length 13’6’’ or under go with straight Skagit 650 (no cheaters).

Rod length 14’ formula = 650 Skagit plus 5 (5 foot cheater).

Rod length 15’ formula = 650 Skagit plus 10 (10 foot cheater).

As you can see from the above the basic Skagit line/rod formula will depend on rod length with the enhanced use of the Skagit Cheaters (cheaters of matching size). The cheaters come in 2.5', 5’ and 7.5' lengths, to further customize your line to your specific rod. When selecting the appropriate set of cheaters follow the Skagit number, for example a 550 Skagit is a 8/9, use a 8/9/10 Skagit Cheater.

Below you will find a run down of Sage Rods with appropriate Skagit Line match-ups;

6126-4 Z-AXIS - Skagit 400, no cheater

7136-4 Z-AXIS - Skagit 500, no cheater

8129-4 Z-AXIS - Skagit 550 or 600, no cheater

8134-4 Z-AXIS - Skagit 550, no cheater

9143-4 Z-AXIS - Skagit 600 + 5’cheater or Skagit 650 + 2.5’cheater

10150 Z-AXIS - Skagit 700 + 5’cheater or Skagit 750 + 2.5’cheater

10150 Z-AXIS - Skagit 700 + 7.5’cheater or Skagit 750 + 5' cheater

Skagit Lines are purely a design for use with sink-tips. To be sure most fishing will be with type 6,8 and T-14 tips in 9,11,13,15 foot lengths. With 15’ being the standard sink tip length. Aqualux as well as type 3 tips can and will apply depending on strategy or seasonality.

However, Skagit Lines combined with either a floating or Aqualux tip have gained extreme popularity for fishing dry or damp when there is hard wind or lack of room to form a longer D-Loop. These short head lines are extremely easy for beginners to learn with.

2. This is a great chart Porter. Maybe article worthy? Every budding spey caster needs a chart to show where to "start". Thank you.

3. Like all things 2-hand, this should come with a disclaimer that these are merely suggestions...

I know folks who love the airflo 390 on their z-ax 6126...I also know some fishy fools that roll with the 540 on the same rod.

The rest of the rods/combos have similar stories - there isn't a magic bullet.

4. I think most understand that, what element of fly fishing has a magic bullet? I just thought that creating some type of general list might help some narrow the learning curve and lend to more specific questions. It doesn't really matter, personally I got out of the spey thing a few years ago. I am always contemplating when my return will happen.

5. Porter, I wasn't jumping on you, really.

And believe me, there are TONS of folks who think there is a magic bullet, in every hobby/sport/pastime/endeavor.

I was merely suggesting the "fine print".

6. I don't think that there is a silver bullet and it is all fine print. That being said this thread started by Porter is a great opener. What other general specifications do others feel? Maybe the floundering spey noobs, such as myself, would benefit greatly not only from the ongoing threads in the Spey Clave, but also from an article there as a good reference point. Any chance others with non silver bullet generalizations care to post them so we can expand Porter's list to guide we noobs? For example, several sites (mostly online and real shops) have some great rod lining guides. Sure some of what is listed is also recommended rods and such that they sell, but they give guidelines as to what type of line to use for different casting styles. Again, a general starting point that leads some to where they need to be and others to various modes of modifications, uplining, downlining, shorter heads, mid bellies, chopping etc. I bet there are not too many identical setups, but there are many that started at the same general point.

7. Great Idea Porter, thanks, I need something I can reference like a chart. You see, I have a bad case of CRS( the 70 s were hard on me, fun, but hard).

8. There is a great deal of info on this subject linked on the second page of my "Online spey casting resources" page. Also K2's piece is very good, as well as the info Porter mentions. Hazel's chart included with their "Advanced Spey Casting" dvd is more good stuff.

What I usually do is take the rod/line manufacurer's line recommendation and then go a size in either direction for a test drive. Many times (not always) that will get one dialed in.

I feel that any shop that has the customer's best interest at heart will have some type of a demo line program and will back up any line recommendations they might give with a 100% satisfation guarantee.

As to searching for magic bullets all should read and heed Tyler Kushnir's piece: http://www.redshedflyshop.com/KUSH.html

Happy Holidays! Poppy

9. That chart is pretty accurate and I have cast a lot of those SAGE rods with those lines.

However. I definitely would add 50 grains + or - a bit to all those recommendations on the SAGE rods.

Obviously nobody gives a rats ass what I think but SERIOUSLY, add 50 grains to those recommendations, it will save you some time.

I never understand why SAGE keeps their suggestions that low, I have talked to at least a dozen guys who use one or more of those rods on a regular basis and they all use 450ish, 550ish, and 650ish lines for their setup and I agree with them.

10. The above was based on two guys grabbing some rods, spending some time, and testing them out. They are not MFG'ER recommendations, if they are the same then ???.

11. delete....not working, or I'm not :beathead:

12. This is a nice chart. It's a bit different than the one I have. Mine is 10 pages long and came from Rio lines web site. You can get it by going to the site and selecting the spey option. The recommendations are for Rio products, of course , but the rods run the gammit and they have a second section for older rods not listed in their main list. I think you could substitute other brands by grain weight and be pretty sucessful, however.