Spey Nymphing Rig Set Up

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Mbrigano, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Mbrigano

Mbrigano Member

My fellow Spey Fisherman,

I would like to gain some knowledge in regards to how you set up an indicator rig to dead drift nymphs. I dot know how much this is used on the awest Coast, but in Upsate NY, at the Salmon River (Pulaski) this seems to be deadly. I did some research and have found one particular set-up which I tied together.

Receipe includes:

9 ft of 15 lb (I used Maxima) connected to a swivel and about 18-24 inches to the fly. The indicator (in my case, I'm thinking of a thingamabobber) connected about a foot after the leader connects to the main fly line. Split shots are said to be adjusted according to water conditions (I.e., 700 Cfs).

I would like to know what others think about this setup and type of fishing? I'm used to swinging flies on sink tips, but would like to try this method.

Thanks Fellas. Tight Lines,

MB

Upstate NY

2. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    try this
    creates less drag and turns over well

3. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    Sounds like it would be a a good way to catch fish. Not sure if I would still consider it fly fishing though with the split shot and especially the swivel as part of the set up. Either way if you are catching fish legally and having fun thats the main thing. The way I have fished for steelhead with an indicator include a fly with weight incorporated into the design of the fly on a leader as small a diameter as I can get away with ( minimizes drag and allows your fly to stay closer to the bottom longer and get a more drag free drift) with an adjustable indicator somewhere on the leader depending on the depth and speed of the run that I am fishing.

4. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    I use swivels all the time fly fishing? What is wrong with swivels? I use split shot to....

5. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Sounds fine to me. While the use of swivel and split shot blur the lines of traditional fly fishing, its all good to me.

6. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    Did not say anything was wrong with using swivels or split shot, I simply stated that in my humble opinion that is where the line between gear and fly fishing starts getting crossed. This hypothetical line is different for everyone. unless you are fishing in a fly fishing only body of water then I would hope that the rules are followed. As stated in my original post whatever kind of fishing that you enjoy is awesome so long as it is legal. I personally gear fish just as much as I do fly fish. Not trying to bash anyone here just was stating how i feel about the particular setup mentioned in the original post and explain how I typically nymph with an indicator for steelhead. I look forward to reading how some other people setup there nymphing rigs. By the way thanks for posting that video kelvin that is an interesting way to attach an indicator that I will be definately be giving a try.

Tight lines

7. Dustin Bise

Media:
    [​IMG]

i also run 1 swivel on a similiar leader when fishing soft hackle rigs

8. Mbrigano

Mbrigano Member

I'm loving everyone's suggestions and opinions. I too am fond of the way he set up that rig on the video. Thx fellas! Keep em comin!

From the East Side,

Mike Brigano

9. TomB

TomB Active Member

me too and bait as well...all flyfishing right?

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Spey rods are excellent tools for nymphing. I had a blast trying it out on a few rivers this year that had pockets far out of reach of my single hander, especially where there was no back cast. For whatever reason, I hooked up on quite a few fish doing this, but lost every single one of them.

Sounds like you have the front end all figured out. I'd suggest running a longer line, like a Delta or UniSpey. That extra length makes all the difference in the world when it comes to setting up the mends for your drift.

11. Dustin Bise

Media:
    dont be jealous

12. Mbrigano

Mbrigano Member

Ok,

As much as I tried to like this unconventional method of spey fishing, I am not too fond of it. Reasons why 1) Too much rod for the rig and size of fly. To me it makes more sense to use a longer single handed rod such as a 9.5 or 10' to cast smaller flies. The long think belly of the end of my Spey line was too much for me to control and seemed too heavy for the purpose of dead drifting a nymph. 2) when I nymph with my single handed rod for trout, I do not use any kind of indicator, I usually match the weight of the fly to the water conditions (I.e., depth and speed) and dead drift naturally without weight or an indicator. More of a personal preference. I for some reason don't particularly enjoy casting an indicator. To me it's additional weight that makes my cast feel strange.

My conclusion is that if I am going to nymph, I will use a long single handed rod or possibly switch rod with a weighted fly appropriate for the water conditions. I will use my Spey rod for swinging and switch rod for dead drifting nymphs. Although you can certainly successfully nymph deeper and wider pockets with a Spey rod, it seems, to me, that you are misusing the purpose of a Spey set up.

13. Mbrigano

Mbrigano Member

Also, I should add that I do understand why some individuals are against using split shots and swivels; however, I also see how and why some do not prefer to use such tackle. I think that those that are 'pro' such tackle are more open to adapt unconventional methods into their arsenal. However, I think that those who are 'con' tend to lean to making other accommodations (such as adding weight to a fly vs a split shot or tieing specific knots to accommodate different purposes). Do I think either one is right? I think that you need to do what you feel comfortable with. I think that those that adhere to conventional methods of fly fishing prefer to stray away of tackle that you can use with other methods of fishing such as a spinning rod or center-pin set up. It makes me wonder why some people have a fly rod in their hand when they are chucking outrageous amounts of weight, drifting, and pulling the line up at the end of a drift. I see people doing the same with a spinning outfit. I think that is the point that others are trying to get. Across here. I am open to all methods of fishing- whatever helps you catch fish and makes you happy. I tend to lean toward the conventional model myself.

14. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

what really is the difference between a weighted fly and a jig. what really is the difference between swinging a spoon, and swinging a large black,purple, blue, flashaboo, orange butted fly. there is none, except the rod they are attatched too. i love how a guy asks a simple question and the elitist self described purist hypocrites come out of the woodworks. its just fishing guys, what that means for some of you hardcore swingers is, actually attempting to catch fish :)

15. Dustin Bise

Media:
    just to put it into perspective. I love fly fishing (dries, nymphing, etc). I love the way fish fight on fly rods, etc.

I am also poor, and as much as I would love to have a quiver full of centerpins, spinning rods, spey, rods, single handers, and all the reels to match the fact is i have

1 5wt
    1 8wt
    1 spey rod

and 3 reels to match...

so I use what i have to catch fish the most effective ways I can find. If it makes a fly fishing elitist shit in his grave, then oh well. I am just trying to make good use of what is available to me and not become a total consumer whore.

If I had all the tools, I would stop disgracing our purest sport of catching wild trout. until then, im wraping all my flies with lead AND fishing split shot, becuz I fish big deep water and I want my flies to fish for more then 6 ft of the run at a time. Is long line nymphing more fun and challenging?? Yes.

But the fact is I will out fish you with a 3/0 split shit and a couple lead wraped flies under an indicator if your using a 10 ft leader and a single bh prince. You just cant effectivly fish all the water where I am from without a setup that gets down fast and stays down. now with the spey rod, im just increasing the number of buckets and pockets I can pick with that setup.

16. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Less bullshit, more telling this guy how to nymph his spey rod.

17. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Delta. If you're going to nymph keep it simple and effective. The delta is nice in particular because it mends beautifully. Pin a bead, throw some split shot on and watch the thingamabobber go down. Simple as that.

18. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    this is where switch rods really shine, combine that with any longbelly line that will throw junk and you're in business. Rio switch line works great for this and I've heard mostly good things about the speydicator as well. All that said, I nymph and swing with pretty much nothing but glass...and short glass (8' mostly this year) because that brings me the most amount of joy when I actually do hook a fish. so do what you want with whatever tools you want as long as it's legal and you respect the resource.

19. Mbrigano

Mbrigano Member

Dustin

As you see in my response, I was not attacking any method or set up you prefer. I was expressing my own opinions as to what I prefer to fish and what I have observed from fishing alternative ways. Correct me if I'm wrong but he purpose of this forum is to learn from others perspectives, experience, and knowledge of what they have learned to advance our own skills in the sport. A common theme I've noticed in this forum is that once someone makes note of what works for them or nearly voices their own opinions and philosophy of how they prefer to fish, others who do not do the same tend to go on rants and tirades and bash each other. I'm not going there. Tight lines.

20. Mbrigano

Mbrigano Member