Spey Nymphing Rig Set Up

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Mbrigano, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Touché Randall

2. If you are used to swinging flies, why change?

3. Because swinging flies isn't always the best way to cover a piece of water. Limiting yourself to one method gets very monotonous for some. Many of us, even those of us who prefer to swing flies over everything else, like a change once in a while.

4. just help the guy or shh. spey clave is #1 e drama forum

5. Swinging flies is also far less effective.

6. In some cases it is. In others, I think it's the best way to go if you know the water.

7. I'd argue that swinging flies is more effective in some water, typically the same type of wide expanses of tailout and boulder-studded flats favored by spoon fishermen. Indicator nymphing excels in the same water as float fishing - clearly defined pockets, slots, and depressions.

One covers water faster, the other is slower but allows the fly to spend more time 'in the zone'.

I gotta agree with Evan on this one. We all adapt our tackle and presentation to existing conditions = changing to a longer/heavier sinktip in an especially deep run or put on a larger fly if the water colors up. Moving to an indicator and nymph is just another step in that same direction.

I'm a swung fly junky by choice - by far my favorite method of flyfishing. Other methods (fly and gear) are used to meet a specific condition I encounter on the river, or just for the fun of mastering a new technique.

YMMV,

Brian

8. Oh boy.
    If I wanted to catch fish strictly, I'd nymph a bead and outfish myself swinging 10/1. Of course there is water better suited to swinging, just as there is nymphing water that won't swing. The point is, if I set out to put up numbers I'd nymph exclusively. Having said that I rarely ever nymph.

9. I recently tried the Airflo speydicator on my switch rod and now I can't put it down to go back to swinging flies! I normally use spey casts to get it out and then mend away. Normally use 4-6ft of level 12lb UG to 1-2ft of 10lb tippet with the double surgeon knot. Add a split shot at the leader/tippet junction and a lowly glowly fly and your set.

10. Depends what criteria you use to define "best" Evan. If you prefer to swing flys (or given the fact that the swing is an umbrella for alot of presentations) you like to use your rod, the flyline and the fly to control your presentation (speed up, slow down, sink, add tension, remove tension etc) rather than lead weights, bobbers and all that BS, then why in the world would you switch to float fishing with your flyrod (nymphing)? This would certainly not be the best way to fish for someone who prefers to fish otherwise.

11. How about this for a new technique? Stop being a dick. Don't worry about what I do or anyone else, and fish your way. You're not helping the original poster or anyone else here, so practice restraint and don't post.

12. +1

13. I'm being a dick? You are the one that is trying to tell people that some technique is better than another. Nobody wants your opinion on that. You have decided certain ways of fishing are better than others according to some set of arbitrary circumstances you have defined and I was merely pointing out that not everyone sees the world of flyfishing through your expert-douche-in-chief eyes.

14. Eat a dick Tom, seriously

15. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa winter time. Certainly love can't wait until spring...........

You two need to get a room somewhere and figure out who is going to be on top.

16. And as I recall, I said every technique had its time and place, You're the arrogant douchenozzle spouting SWING ONLY NYMPHING HARDWARE IS FOR PUSSIES.

17. Glad to know I am arguing with a child.

18. I didn't say that anywhere. I said for some people, nymphing is never "better" because they don't prefer that technique...you were the one trying to shove that technique down everyones' throat.

19. You're always a dick, Tom. Anytime I see your name on a post I know it going to be followed by some egotistical, critical, cynical BS. Trying posting something non- Narcissistic some time.

20. Agreed to the max.

This thread is to help someone learn a new technique, I've added my tips on how to do it since I have done it. If you want to criticize this technique, do it in your own thread. I'm by no means an authority on any topic, I'm just one of the few who would probably even admit to doing something as unthinkable as using a two handed rod to toss a nymph setup. It can be a fun way to fish in the right scenarios; not always the case, and not usually the case. Even though nymphing is not my preferred way to fish, I've had a blast doing it on many trips. No point in cutting it out of my toolbox.