Spey Nymphing Rig Set Up

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Mbrigano, Dec 28, 2011.

1. TomB

TomB Active Member

Let's re-read what I wrote that provoked the mini temper-tantrum from Evan followed by a few eager beavers piling on:

"Depends what criteria you use to define "best" Evan. If you prefer to swing flys (or given the fact that the swing is an umbrella for alot of presentations) you like to use your rod, the flyline and the fly to control your presentation (speed up, slow down, sink, add tension, remove tension etc) rather than lead weights, bobbers and all that BS, then why in the world would you switch to float fishing with your flyrod (nymphing)? This would certainly not be the best way to fish for someone who prefers to fish otherwise."

How is that egotistical,critical, or cynical, or douchey? I literally point out that defining an angling technique, ANY angling technique, as "best" is subjective. Evan stated that under some conditions, nymphing is best, and I basically made an argument to illustrate why that statement was subjective. Notice that I did not say anywhere that swinging was globally the best technique. I instead illustrated how the best technique is the one preferred. Why all the attacks for trying to keep people's minds open that they don't need to swallow, hook line and sinker, the notion that only one technique is appropriate or best under various circumstances. If anything you all are the narcissists for thinking folks should subscribe to your narrowly-defined ruleset for how to fish.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Replace "BEST" with "most enjoyable," "most effective," or anything else you wish. There was no authority meant behind my use of this word. It was meant to be interchangeable and open to interpretation.

3. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey guys is there anyway you can take this offline? Perhapse a PM or such. This was a pretty good thread till the bitch fest started.

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    My apologies for my blowing up. I have anger management issues coupled with a thinning patience with criticizing how people fish. Pair that with some misreading, misinterpreting, and all that on all accounts and you get your typical internet bitch fest.

5. TomB

TomB Active Member

my bad as well john. easy to get carried away with the back and forth over the web.

6. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    iagree I want to hear more about various ways to set up a nymph rig on a two hander, without this thread going down the path of swinging vs. nymphing being best.

7. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    What do you want to know?

8. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    I love using the large phyllip rawley style indicators when i nymph. They are easily ajusted to whatever depth I want.

9. Chedster

Chedster Member

I once watched two strippers go at it in a parking lot... and this thread bought back that memory. Do most of you guys who nymph high stick it or set up long drifts with stack mends etc? I prefer to stack mend and drift my junk 50' downstream or so, seems I can cover more water than a short high stick drift

10. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    I guess beyond what has already been shared, why split shot over say using a heavier pattern and double rigging? Also, are glo bugs as effective as beads? And why one over the other? Never fished with anyone set up this way and I spend my time mainly swinging. When I have nymphed, it's been with a single hander with no success.

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I don't use split shot, it's not usually quite enough without snapping on 5 of them, and it causes you to snag easily. I prefer Hairline Dubbin tungsten putty.

The extra weight is necessary to get your stuff down in the zone. Often times, you have only a few feet of drift before you hit the "zone" where the fish lies. If you're not on their level, you're wasting your time. So adequate weight, and proper mending are necessary to get the right presentation. It's tough in a lot of scenarios, and I still struggle with it in certain places.

I never have used glo bugs, but seeing how slight variations in bead color can make all the difference, I'd say that they may not work the same.

12. Chedster

Chedster Member

If you are using a heavy pattern skip the split shot, it really depends on how vertical you want your presentation. I like to run a weighted glo bug in place of a bead. I have noticed coho won't touch beads but they love the weighted glo bugs.

13. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sometimes a weighted fly is enough. But there are certain currents that won't allow it to get down very well without some extra help; especially when you're working behind boulders and what not.

You can run a static drift, which is more like a bobber-jig gear presentation. This is more "vertical" of a presentation, with a lot of weight holding the fly/bead/dirty awesomeness straight down from the bobber.

The other way is a more dynamic drift, where your presentation is more "fluttering" in the current. Usually best in low/clear water. Requires less weight, and you're not usually fishing directly under your indicator.

14. Chedster

Chedster Member

I almost always run a splitshot at my leader/tippet junction along with a weighted fly and bead if I'm feeling really dirty. Works pretty good for me. Probably back to swinging now that we have some more water to play in.

15. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    the reason i run split is to keep the entire leader under the indicator riding as close as 90 degrees as possible.

from left to right. wieghted top fly, bead, and split

weighted fly and bead no split

weighted fly and globug

just a weighted fly

[​IMG]

16. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Dustin. Are you ok?

17. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I love the high emotional content of threads like this for the entertainment value. Fortunately in the midst of it all the original poster's questions appear to have been well answered.

Personally I'm a non-expert but not quite a newb at nymphing. My lifetime stream nymphing total now amounts to one whitefish, one rainbow trout, two sea run cutthroat, and a few steelhead. However I've observed enough of nymphing to have formed an opinion that it is, or can be, significantly different from using a bobber and jig with a spinning or casting rod. And it's one of those distinctions with a difference when it comes to catching fish sometimes.

Evan touches on it in his post #53 above. I don't know if the terms he uses, static and dynamic drift are the best choices, but I think they serve well enough for the purpose. The static drift is what you usually get with a jig and a bobber, especially since a lot of anglers use heavier jigs than necessary for the water conditions. The dynamic drift, with lighter leaders constructed specifically for the water conditions, and use of the minimum weight necessary to put the nymph in the zone, delivers more lifelike or natural presentations. I think it's this latter presentation that makes it possible for skilled nymphers to accumulate some astounding catch numbers, even out-fishing gear guys under some conditions.

Nymphs that simulate natural insect drift get eaten over those that don't. It ought to follow that nymphs, glo bugs, and beads that simulate natural drift instead of looking like they're attached to a string, will get eaten more often than those that don't.

Although I don't nymph much, I still intend to develop that skill, mainly to become a more complete angler, and because the trout aren't always rising to dries, and not all steelhead hold in water suited to the swing. But I'll continue to mostly swing flies, because it was the only legal fly fishing method when I began fishing the fly only water on the NF Stilly and Kalama (no weighted flies or weight on leader was allowed), so I've always done it and am good enough to be confident with it.

Sg

18. Mbrigano

Mbrigano Member

I thank everyone for their insight and tactics that they employ to answer my question. After reviewing all these posts, I think the conclusion is to accommodate a set-up and rig that fits your personal style of fishing and use whatever helps you catch fish. I have learned several tips for a nymphing set up for a Spey set up if I ever decide to nymph with my spey rod again. I think for now I will stick with my switch rod 10'8 '' for dead drifting a nymph.

A side comment: collectively, with all the members in this forum and years of experience, hours on the water, and with experience using probably every rod, reel, and fly line made in the last 40+ years, we should use this info to learn how to make us better anglers. Disagreements and differences in philosophies and beliefs of what fly fishing constitutes will always happen. Let's try to keep it civil though. I personally learn a lot from these posts and try to adapt methodology into my repertoire of skills. So I thank those who responded constructively.

From the east,

Mike Brigano

19. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    SG: Couldn't have been put in better words by anyone.

20. bconrad

bconrad Member

Any of you guys fish nymphs/globugs without an indicator? I've done gear float fishing and indicator fishing pretty minimally, but to me they feel similar. Take the flotation off and it's a whole different game in some aspects but the concept remains the same. I fish the same line for glo bugs and dry flies...Delta.