Spey Question

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by gearhead, Jul 31, 2005.

1. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

Well, I've decided to make like Bob Barker, and have my fish Speyed. I plan on buying a TFO. only question is, do I go with the 12'.5" 8 wt, or the 14' 9wt. I know they both have advantages. This will probably be a one time deal for me. I'm a first timer at spey, but have been using the casting techniques already with my 9ft. The Clearwater, and Snake will be my main target rivers for the rod. I think I'm leaning towards the 12.5. Will that 8wt handle the occasional large fish or B run. just how much of an advantage is that 14/9wt. I'm probably going to be throwing the Delta "Long" line with it. Thanks!

2. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Owning both long and short rods, I would say the 14 footer will probably be a little easier to learn on, and will be a better 4 season rod. One of my favorite rods on the planet is the 13 foot 8wt Dec Hogan, so I'm not anti short rod, it's just that old saw "if you could only have one rod"... It would probably be a 9, and it would probably be around 14 feet.

3. SpeyRodBeBop

SpeyRodBeBop Member

I own several speyrods, but I fished all winter on a 12'6" TFO. I found it perfect for in close work with heavy heads. Of course if you are only going to own one rod (some chance) the 14' is likely your best bet.

4. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    14' 9wt of any species to learn.

5. FLGator

FLGator Member

Of your two choices I also recommend the 14' 9 wt.

I really like the 15' 10wt wtih the Carron Jet Stream 10/11 for the Clearwater. It is a super combination for me.

Also, I highly recommend the Red Shed Fly Shop in Peck Idaho for your spey needs. Mike is a no BS kind of guy and has the knowledge to help you get set up right the first time.

The TFO 425 reel would complement the 14' 9wt beautifully.

Welcome to the spey world!

Chris

6. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Media:
    If the main rivers are the Snake and Clearwater I would definitely go for the 14' 9 wt. Personally for big rivers and summer dry line work I like a 15' rod. A 14' rod will get you in the casting game with the Long Delta quicker than with a shorter rod.

7. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

Thanks for the advice all, i found a guy that lives in a Red shed "down by the river" and he advises a 14/9 will be in the mail very soon. Thanks again. :thumb:

8. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

Media:
    I see a picture forming in my crystal ball:

TFO 14' 9wt, Airflo Delta Spey 9/10, reel with massive capacity.
    :thumb: