Spey Questions

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Antron Ron, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Antron Ron New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am thinking of buying a Spey rod and reel. If I buy an 8wt. rod, do i just buy any ordinary 8wt reel - or do I buy a larger reel to better balance out the larger rod? Also, any recommendations on flyline?

Thanks in Advance,

Ron
  2. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    I'd suggest a larger reel due to the longer length of spey lines.
  3. SpeyRodBeBop Member

Mission, British Columbia.
  4. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +176 / 0
    Here's a thought: there's a guy named Aaron Riemer who has a small shop in Carnation called River Run Angler's. He's got a web site at www.speyshop.com. His shop is dedicated to the spey style of flyfishing. I don't use a spey rod but I have run into him on the river a couple of times. He's a very nice guy. Having seen him cast once, I can tell you he knows what he's doing. Anyway, one of the things he does is give speycasting clinics. You go out and use his equipment. Since most spey outfits are not cheap, and since this is such a different way of fishing than the single-handed approach (which I understand some people just don't take a yearing to), it seems like a darn good investment before you go spend a bunch of money on the outfit.
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,648 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

Thanks for the info. I might just check it out.

Jim
  6. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    Also be sure to keep an eye on Ebay. A spey setup can be quite an outlay of cash and as some one mentioned many people jump on to the spey band wagon only to discover that it's not their favorite instrument. The result is that almost new rods become available on a regular basis. :WINK
  7. SpeyRodBeBop Member

Mission, British Columbia.
    There's a couple of things you should know before you buy your first setup:

A slower action (traditional rod) is easier for a beginner to cast. The timing is less critical.

Don't buy a Loomis rod--they are overhanders rather than speys.

Learn with a longer bellied lines only, not a Rio Windcutter, they will convince you that you can spey cast when you really can't. Try the Rio Mid-Spey instead. It's a great line for beginners.

Use Sinking Poly leaders rather than sinking heads to begin--they are easier to cast and sink almost as quickly.

For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights.

Tacitus