spey recommendation

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Bigsteel, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Bigsteel

Bigsteel Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    .i am currently using a switch rod and looking to move up to a full spey rod.i am looking for a rod that will throw bigger flies and sink tips for winter fishing.i have been looking at the Beulah platinum 13'2" 7wgt.can you guys off any reviews for this rod,or would moving up to the 13'8" 8wgt be the better option?also what line would you recommend putting on.i will be casting Skagit style.any other rod recommendations are welcome!!!!! Thanks guys

2. Bigsteel

Bigsteel Member

Right now I have an 11 foot 8 wgt switch.i plan on fishing Oregon coastal streams for winter

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I don't know either of those two rods personally. I have a Beulah classic 12' 7" 7/8, but it's really more of an 8 wt. I like a 550 gr Skagit on it. I prefer a 7 wt as an all around Spey rod for most steelhead applications, just more comfortable to cast and swing all day. For that reason I'd pick the 13' 2" 7 wt, but you should try both and see which feels best to you.

Sg

4. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Media:
    I have the Beulah Platinum in 6 wt. I like it. Alot.. I think the 7wt. would be more than adequate for the fishing you will be doing.

5. spfd jason

spfd jason New Member

If I din't already own one, I'd pick up the Ross Reach 7 wt in the classifieds for $215. Love mine this is a great price.

6. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    Try the Redington Dually- retails around $250 or something and is a sweet rod for the price. I own the 8136-4 and it's redics.

7. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

Media:
    I have three speyrods, but my favorite and the one that used to most is a 13"0' 6/7 MKS. it handles about everything I like to do, 501gr SGS line and it likes a 480 rage as well. I wouldn't go and heavier in my opinion for what you describe

8. teerex

teerex Member

For your applications, that 8 switch should be the right rod. Very few buckets on the OR coast will require a full length spey cast. Just try an airflo compact rage for your skagit, and you should be able to huck 10-12 feet of t-14 effectively, and you could switch to speydicating if you need to mix it up. Just keep those hands/arms tight to the chest.

For bigger rivers closer to Portland, or on the OP, yeah, a 7 or 8 weight in the 13 foot range will help you cover more water with less fatigue. That or a deathstar. 2nd the redington dually for the price point.

9. Bigsteel

Bigsteel Member

Thanks fellas,I was able to pick up a brand new Ross reach 13' 7weight for 195!!!

10. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
    In my experience the Rage Compact doesn't chuck t-14 effectively. For winter work, Airflo Skagit Switch FTW. Rage Compact or Royal Wulff Ambush for summertime fishing.