Spey Reels

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Brian, Oct 23, 2003.

1. windtickler

windtickler Member

Bob,

Why not use the "Watch this Item" feature on eBay? Saves thinking.

2. sinktip

sinktip Guest

Matt:

"I just strung up Accelerator 7/8, 8/9 and 9/10 with tips on three spools. That's 150 feet of big belly spey line."

I own a couple of Accelerators as well and they are not big bellied spey lines when compared to the capacity needed for the same size XLT or Grandspey. These puppies really eat up a reel.

3. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Well, I took the plunge. I ordered out a Tioga # 12 from e-bay for $105 bucks. I hope it works. It's got a ton of capacity so I don't think that will be an issue.
    I have another Tioga (a #6)that I use on my Scott 6wt. So I'm set for awhile, I think.
    I've still got the Orvis bamboo 6 wt. (pre-Vietnam) with a Mark IV Orvis Battenkill reel and a Loomis 8 wt. with my Hardy St. Aiden. I've also got a St. Croix 6wt. travel rod (4pcs.)and my 14 ft. St. Croix spey rod. Not bragging here because my stuff is far from the top of the line, but I think it will work. It's all I've got.
    Bob, the Satisfied:beer2

4. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Sinktip,

The 8/9 grandspey with tips is one of the last lines on my hit list. I will use the Tioga 12 on that puppy and spool on the backing over the top of it before I tie into the arbor, just to make sure I'm right on. Can't wait to try it on my Salar. By the way, I rechecked those spools with accelerater and WC. It was 200 yards of gel spun backing for the accelerater and 300 for the WC. I can't even see that far down most of these rivers around here.

Matt
    Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

5. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Your original question, I believe, was what sort of a rod for chums? Sometimes we all stray from that question and get into our own expertise. (Actually that was not the original question as I look back on it. Pretend that it was and then read the following).

The question begs another question: how hard do you fight your fish? If you tend to baby things (not a good idea unless you are a kill and grill type) then most anything will work. You might piss off the others around you because they don't admire this, The fish will also be DOA.

If you are like me, then you pour the rod to them and force them to hand at every opportunity. There is no slacking. The rod is bent double all the time.
    But you can blow up a light rod when fishing for a very powerful chum doing this.

Bottom line: at least an 8wt. unless you very skilled with light rods. My spey is a 9/10/11 and I consider it perfect for anything around here including chinooks.
    Fight 'em hard; let 'em go quick. Smile slowly and for a long time.
    Bob, the Stand Back! My Rod Might Blow Up!:eek

6. Crump

Crump Member

Media:
    Bob - I have a Tioga 12 and it is a great spey reel. It fits a Delta Spey 10 with ease.

7. sinktip

sinktip Guest

Matt,

I suggest you go with the 7/8 Grandspey on the Salar not the 8/9. I cast both on mine before settling on the 7/8. If you want to try it, let me know as I just replaced the Grandspey but haven't got a new Salar to put it on yet.

sinktip

8. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Sinktip,

I sent you a PM.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell