Spey Rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Joshw, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Joshw

Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Media:
    I have been thinking about getting into spey rods for a little while now and have found some pretty good pricing on forcast spey blanks. If I remember right these blanks have recieved some pretty decent reviews from people here on the board. I don't know a whole lot about the blanks but below are the setups that are available.

11'6" 6/7, 12'6" 7/8, 13' 8/9 and 14' 9/10

Not really sure what size would be the best for a beginner like myself. I would like to use it for steelhead and the occassional salmon outing. I would imagine that the longer rod would be easier to learn on. Does anybody use lighter spey rods to fish for trout? I don't think that I have seen anybody using a spey rod to fish larger rivers for trout. I would think that on some of the larger trout streams a spey rod would have its place but just haven't seen it done. Your help is much appreciated.

Josh

2. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Media:
    Home Page:
    Josh - the Forecast/Rainshadow Spey rods are a good value, and I think a great way to get into the "Spey" world.

Personally, I think the two sweet rods in the series are the 11'6" 6/7 and the 12'6" 7/8. I built the 12'6" 7/8 and that's been the rod I've been learning to Spey cast with.

If you decide to go that route, I can help you with some line options too. I cast both a Hardy Mach I :thumb: and a Loop Adapted line on the 12'6". Bert may jump in on the string - the SA Short Head spey lines work well too.

You're welcome to cast mine to see if you like it - I'd also recommend you go down to Aaron's (River Run Anglers) on a Saturday AM. He sets up a 'try rack' on the river - you can try out all kinds of rods to see what might work well for you.

3. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Josh,

Yup, I've got a TFO 6 wgt two hander that I use for trout. My wife casts an Elkhorn 6 wgt two hander for trout. Sure has opened up a lot of water for me that used to have limited back cast room.

I got a chance to cast Warren Perry's spey rod that he built on a forecast blank. I think, but am not sure, it was the 7/8. Very sweet casting rod, punched a sink tip out there very nicely. You might try shooting him a PM if you'd like specific answers.

REE

4. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Try a search here as well and I am sure you will be amply rewarded.

5. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Well I just got done with mine...14' 9/10 and loved how it turned out. I've been told that the forcast spey blanks are underated for the amount of grains that they can handle. I'll find out here in a little while...

:cool:

6. Warren Perry

Warren Perry Grizzly 6

Media:
    Josh,

I bulit the 12'6" 7/8 forecast spey rod. I am really new to spey rodding so I have no real frame of reference on how good or bad the blank is but I will tell you that I was able to make a 100' cast with it the other day so I'm sure that it will be a fine fishing tool. I use the cortland 444 precision taper tri color spey line. I was able to get it for 55.00. I cut the head in order to make a multi tip line and so far it works just fine.

Check out the thread on it in the rod building forum. Just search for a thread titled "building a spey rod"

Warren

7. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Media:
    Kristen is right (as usual). The 11.5 Forecast is my favorite rod and the 12.5 has all the power you could ever need for any steelhead or salmon. I easily landed a bright king of about 35 lbs last summer on mine. As suggested earlier, these rods are grossly under-rated for line capacity so if you should build one up DO NOT buy a line for it until you have a chance to try it on the rod. Yes, SpeyBum (a site sponsor) has lots of lines to play with as well! These rods do handle a fairly broad range of lines, but there are a few lines that really bring them to life. You'll know instantly when you find the one the truly fits.

All the other rods suggested are also great starting points, but I really think you should break your neck to get to Aaron's for at least one Saturday morning. Do this before you consider buying any rod, including the Forecasts. Nowhere else in the world is there such an amazing opportunity -- rods and lines to try, free instruction, and some of the best casters in the Pacific Northwest available to answer your questions.

Happily, there are today very few bad two-handed rods so your opportunites are virtually unlimited, and you do not have to spend a fortune to get a decent first rod. You can however blow an absolute fortune trying to find the just right line for it. So do your search on this site and the other one mentioned and then repeat after me, "I'm going to Aaron's on Saturday."

8. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I built the 11'6" 6/7 last year. One of the least expensive rods I've made. I received a lot of advice from one of the members on this site about this rod and he was great help. If you do a search there was a thread on the rod building forum about hese rods last year.

Wayne

9. Joshw

Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Media:
    Thanks guys for all of the input. I did do some searching in the archives and on spey pages and there was definetely some great info. Warren that Rod sure turned out nice. I bought a little 6'6" Forecast 2wt from HH last month to build for my wife and was a little unsure how that blue thread they supply would turn out given the color of the forecast blank but it sure does look nice! I keep hearing about Aarons and have been thinking about heading over there some Saturday for awhile and I just need to do it!

I took a rod building class a couple of months ago from Ron and now I am hopelessly addicted to adding to my quiver of rods. I have built 3 rods since the class and have two more blanks sitting in my tying/rod building room. I need to get back over to Monroe and learn how to do some fancy wraps and feather inlays.

Kristen - do you have any classes open within the next month or so?

Thanks All, Josh :beer2:

10. FLGator

FLGator Member

I second the recommendation for the TFO 12' 6" 6 wt. Very sweet action and a very capable rod. Will cover anything from trout and smallmouth to steelhead and salmon when it's lined properly. However, I don't think you can just buy the blank...

11. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
    I took a guy out yesterday who had built the Forecast 7/8. I think he said he paid about $75.00 to build the rod. It cast well and seemed like a good value for someone looking to get into the two-handed rod world.

12. FlyShopKristin

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hiya Josh! I PM'd you with the class listings. You think that you're addicted now??! Wait 'till we get into fancy wraps and feather inlays!!

-Kristin

13. SPEYBUM

SPEYBUM Member

Home Page:
    Josh,
    IMHO
    The only advise I give every one is to try the rods you think you want before you buy.
    It has been my obsevaton of the years that things are not alway what they they see.

Light weigh rods are not for every one and not the best rods to develop your speycasting technique.

My $.02 worth

14. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

Media:
    The "try before you buy" advice is certainly wise and no one would argue with that should you have the opportunity. But isn't it much more difficult to do that if you want to build your own rod (or have a limited budget no matter how much that $800 stick sings)?

Are there any shops that have built up Rainshadows etc. for people to try?

I jumped into spey casting before the "try before you buy" advice got through to me. Even if I had tried a bunch of rods, the cost would have ruled a lot of them out. Yes, you get what you pay for but when you look at the cost of rod built on a Rainshadow Forecast rod, pretty hard to pass up when you are trying to watch the $. Worst case, you become an addict and move up but aren't out a lot of money and have a good back up or seller rod.

I ended up with a Rainshadow RX8 13' 8/9 that will be my go-to (i.e. only) spey rod for a while. Unless I win the lottery. It works.

I will say that I got the wise advice in time to have Aaron help me pick a line for it. Great service they provide out on the snoq.

15. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I am finishing up the 14' 9/10. Any suggestion on line? I'd like a multi-tip to fish the Skagit/Sauk.
    Clement for Ichiro?
    cds

16. FlyShopKristin

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yes :D We've got the 11'6" 6/7, 12'6" 7/8, 13' 8/9 built up in the shop. Looks like we need to get going on the 14' 9/10 to complete the series! Once we finish it - we'll work with Aaron to figure out a full range of lines that work well.

17. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

Media:
    Thanks Kristin. That is a nice service to provide.

Jim F.

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Why are some spey rods called switch rods. It is something that I have never figured out. Anything over 11'6" is a spey rod to me. But then again, I have felt that I was in the dark on them anyway. bawling:

Jim

19. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    that 11 1/2' 6/7 is my next two hander, gotta get with Ron and Kristin and figure that out into my schedule. Heckuva rod for the coming summer I think... tick tock...tick tock...

20. FT

FT Active Member

Jim,

Some are called switch rods because that is exactly what they are. They are short enough to be able to be cast single-handed; but long enough to be able to be cast two-handed. Most switch rods are also matched with the longer single-hand lines like the salmon/steelhead tapers and not with the much heavier spey lines. Personally, I consider any rod under 12' a single-hand rod; but then again I use 15'-18' rods for most of my steelheading.