Spey rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Tom Johnston, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,683 / 0
    Yes, my first post was maybe terse, or worse. But the first thing I read in this thread is that Tom has already bought and unloaded a switch rod. That's not to say he'll do the same thing with a Spey outfit. But I seem to recall Tom posting last year as a newb and going through gear like some guys go through socks. That's fine when the objective is to spend money. Speyday is right, Tom will be way further ahead to spend money on casting lessons instead of a rod.

In the interest of being helpful, Tom I'm ignoring your original question. My go-to Spey rod doesn't mean shit to you, and given your status as a non-caster, it would be absolutely worthless information. Get some casting lessons and then come and ask us some questions. Our answers will make a hell of a lot more sense to you then.

Terse? Yeah, maybe. But why continue to waste bandwidth on useless information? That you read a lot about steelheading and watch DVDs is nice, but still doesn't mean shit until you get your ass out on the river and do some casting with an instructor! So get your ass movin' already.

I think psychologists call this "tough love."

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
  2. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I love tough love Salmo:thumb:. First I thought the whole purpose of this website was to give others advice and a helping hand if you want to call it wasting bandwidth call it what you like. Did you not think that I knew I would run into this with posting this thread? Tends to happen from time to time on this site! To set the record straight I bought THAT switch setup with rod line and reel for $150(only lost $20 when I sold it). Oh and by the way Ive only owned(5 rods) and unloaded two rods in my life. One being a TFO Pro 8wt and that switch rod we discussed about! Maybe you and I need to meet at the river and you can give me a little lesson on steelhead fishing(with a sh since I will need lots of time learning the art of spey). Could use a helpful hand....

Sincerely,
    Tom
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,683 / 0
    Glad to hear it Tom. I didn't do a lookup of old posts but thought I remembered enough from your previous experimenting to comment the way I did.

OK, get your gear together, we leave at 9:00; be home Sunday. Be ready to wade waist deep and cast 80 feet. You'll need secret fly patterns, like whatever the fuck you've got in your fly box. It's complicated fishing, but not in the way that you probably think. You look at a big piece of water that all looks the same to you and then pick out the part that is different and wonder why the fuck is this different than the rest? Cuz steelhead live there; that's why! Most of the stuff you've read about steelheading won't help you catch a fish. All the books I've read on the subject leave out the most important stuff. I tend to tell it true. My steelheading posts over the last few years are a gold mine. And yes, I've had more than my usual ration of wine tonight.

Sg
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,469 / 9
    Sg, best damn post online tonight! Tommy J, you better have your shit packed! Good luck.
  5. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    all right Bubba, you asked.
    My favorite TODAY was a 14' 6/7/8 Meiser "S" and I used 3 different lines, a custom built SGS short spey, a 7wt SGS shooting head with Int 12' poly over 30#Airflo, and a chopped 8/9 DDC connect with an S1/S2 tip.
    hope that raised more questions than it answered.:rofl:
    Sunday my go-to was a 12'6" 5/6 Deer Creek with a 420 Compact Scandi over Guideline LRL, 10' intermediate poly

If your REAL question is what's a good all-around outfit, the standard answer is a 13' 7/8 around here, but I think the Fethastyx you sold would be perfect too, especially if you would have sold it to me. :hmmm:

take the advice Tommy, learn to cast. Once you can cast, the rest comes. The secret words are HOLDING WATER...shhhhh.
    _G...gold mine? what brand of wine was that? I want some help with my self-esteem too. LOLOLOL
    Oh man, you rock.
  6. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    Tom,

The reason very few folks have offered "advice" on their favorite 2-hand rod, line, reel is because what I like, many others do not and vice versa. In other words, just because a particular rod/line combo is great for one person, it could be a dog for another. Those of us who are experienced in the spey world know this and we don't want to send folks off to get rods/lines that might not be very good fits for them. We are not trying to be evasive at all, just trying to keep you from buying something you won't like because it doesn't suit you very well.

This is why the best thing for someone new to the 2-hand and spey casting world is to go, get some casting instruction from those who know how to spey cast well, and try different rod/line combos.

Mike Kinney provided the absolute best advice possible for anyone thinking about getting into the world of spey. Go to either Aaron's (River Run Angler) get together Saturday mornings in Carnation at the mouth of the Tolt River, or the one Mike does with All About the Fly at Howard Miller access on the Sky just outside of Monroe. Aaron is a certified 2-hand casting instructor, and Mike is one of the finest and best spey casting teachers you could ever find.

Like Mike said, after 3 or weeks of these sessions, you will be able to know which rod/line is a good match for you and what you wish to do with the rod.

I'd also recommend you take Salmo up on his offer and get some time on the river with an experience steelheader because steelhead fishing is very different from trout fishing.
  7. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    There we go thank you, thank you. I know book authors leave out the most important part thats because they would not have any water to fish if the cat was let out of the bag! I know theres alot of in's and out's to steelheading that alot people dont talk about. I dont mind putting time in to figure this all out. I had no one teach me how to read a beach and where to really look for searuns. But I got it figured out for the most part! Im not some slack ass trying to get a free ride here. I dont mind standing balls deep in freezing ass water and being skunked on many outings. Its called fishing for a reason and not catching! Its the reward you get from the tug on the line. Next saturday Ill be heading north to the spey clinic and probly be doing it sunday too. Im gonna get this spey thing down and do it right. :D
  8. speyday Rod tubes in the overhead compartment

Plainfield, IL
    Mumbles,
    I don't have a 'go to' rig. I go to the one thats right for the situation I've been handed

Brian,
    I guess your right. I just let a personal hunch tell me that this fellow might possibly be soliciting this advice to make yet another purchase in an attempt to get the magic rig that will be just right and perfect for him.

Most importantly,
    TOM:
    Sent you a PM with an offer of a product for you free of cost to help you get started right, and is along the lines of what mike K. has offered.

Shutting up now,

Ken
  9. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Pm sent back Ken.

I am starting to think posting this thread was a really bad thing!!! Maybe I should of gone a different way of how to enter this thread.
  10. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    Ken , I`ve done my fair share of chasing the elusive Magic Bullet:beer2:
  11. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    I think you guys got it all wrong!!!

Tom you need to go out and buy all the stuff you want...don't buy any cheap crap either..as cheap crap only works for experienced guys and inherently has none of the "new stuff mojo" in it...Meiser rods are not cheap..but neither are they as expensive as the sage or scott t2h rods...So I would recommend you but either of those...Go BIG too...15' minimum..It will make up for your lack of casting skill!!! Also, with a rod like that you'll only need ONE line to be a spey jedi...I would recommend an XD or Nextcast 95? either of those as that's the only way to learn true spey casting!!!

No point in stopping there either...with a set up that nice you HAVE to have a bitchin reel too...See if you can find a bogdog, Sarahsionne, or at the very least...an unabel or Tebor ..
    You should think this way Tom...If you aren't very good yet, it's always good to show up with really expensive gear...You don't need to fish it...just stand around and stare at the other guys gruffly...they'll see you and your gear and think.."Damn, that guys a pro" and leave you the good water!!!

Never learn to tie classic flies...Never even think about where they come from or what they mean.....Only thing you need is a piece of rabbit strip, a split shot and some line...FUK the fish..they don't deserve your time or effort....disrespect them..they dig it and it shows even more how much class you got...

Change your handle to something mystic...like streamsuicide, steelheadflunky...steelheadnightmare....you know, you've seen um....way bitchin....
    Then just do what you do...spent all your time on here....
    You got it brother...economy needs your help...This country needs your help...WE all need your help...

Peace...
  12. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    I like the sarcasm! Peace Im out. No need to waste any more time on this one! Oh thanks for all the helpful tips. See you on the river......
  13. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    Tom,

Hidden in the swirling tidal rip of answers, most of which is good advice to questions you didn't ask, is your original question. There's an inherent conflict in your question, that the others haven't picked up on. I'll try.

Most people's "go-to" spey rigs are in the 12.5' to 13.5' range, for 7 to 9-weight lines, and are of medium to medium-fast action. (Generally, most spey rods can work with most types of lines. Faster actions seem to go better with Scandi and shooting head lines; and slow actions seem to help Skagit lines with sinking tips and heavy flies function most efficiently; while more standard length lines like Windcutters, Deltas, Midspeys, Mastery's, etc. work well with medium actions. But there's a lot of allowable overlap there.)

However, two-handed rigs for saltwater casting from the beaches are really slightly outside the "spey" realm. They're usually fast rods of 11-13 feet, and cast shooting heads or weight-forward lines for single-hand rods, using the overhead style common to single-hand rods. But to start with, you can certainly use a normal spey rod, as described above, with short or shooting head lines.

But keep your priorities straight: getting competent instruction, and in the process getting hands-on experience with a variety of spey rigs, is ten times more important than identifying and buying the perfect rod, reel, and lines. That's true for any spey novice, and I suspect, a little more so for you.
  14. Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Sunday Clinic goes on recess

Tom, just to be sure you do not make a trip all the way up next Sunday (26 September) to find few folks at the Kinney clinic: Mike, Ron and many of the Sunday clinic regulars will not be at Ben Howard next week. They will be at Poppy's Clearwater Spey Clave in Idaho instead. That would include Mike's amazing quiver of rods.

Things will return to a regular weekly schedule the week after.
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,469 / 9
    Bert, thank you for an excellent scheduling post. I had already put that date on my calendar, me getting water time early and the family heading to another adventure later.