spey water?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by the_trout_bum, Jun 15, 2008.

1. the_trout_bum ifish

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    wheres some other water thats good for throwing a spey rod around the skykomish/snoqualmie areas besides below tokul creek on the snoqualmie? that stretch is nice but flow wise its not great right now. summer steelies are in and im gettin itchy to find a few on the new spey :thumb:
  2. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +880 / 1
    Walk about 50 yds downstream to Plums Landing. It's wide enough to throw your spey.

Leland.
  3. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Anywhere. The whole point of a spey rod is opening up more water, fishing where you can't with a single hand rod because of backcast limitations, SOMETIMES fishing beyond the range of a single hand rod AND more importantly fishing the same old runs differently than you would with a single hand.

I'm not putting anybody down or trying to come off as some kind of old salt expert, but I was in the mid nineties renewed interest of two handed rods. The whole approach at the time seemed to be fishing unfishable water. Maybe it's because I was in California at the time. Talk about a beat to death resource! These days it seems folks pass on anything that doesn't let them have a 30 foot D-Loop behind them...

If you're going to fish Plum down both sides you will have your back against the trees in tit-high water at times. Especially at higher water times. Remember a 30 to 45 foot cast at a 45 degree angle to straight down, and yes those are some of the casting distances we're talking about on that stretch, gives a completely different swim than a 80 or 100 foot cast at a 15 degree angle to straight down. You can make that longer cast tread water and even reverse direction... Repeatedly.

Just saying any stretch of any water will be fished more effectively with a spey rod that is appropriately sized to the fish being chased. Maybe not more efficiently. It may actually require more physical effort and attention to what you are doing. Zero backcast Perry Pokes can put a hitch in your getalong if you do them for 3 hours. You may feel silly holding a 12.5 to 14 foot rod in some spots, but if you sit there for two or three minutes, dissect the water in front of you and work out a gameplan it will be more effective. A 100 foot cast almost straight downriver to fish a 5 foot diameter pocket 4 feet in front of a boulder can be the only cast you need to make the whole day:thumb:
  4. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I have noticed serveral of your posts on this site asking for info on the Sky, Snoq, and Stilly.

My question is this: how many steelhead have you caught around here?

By the looks of your language I suspect it is zero.

I don't really care how good you are, I just wonder if you realize how infrequently even the best steelhead fishermen hook them.

I never talk about steelhead fishing in terms of getting out on the river and "catching a few".

Last season was bad but I caught 4 in the last 12 months in about 100 days of intense fishing and I have been fishing around here my entire life.

Just be warned, it is VERY tough in the begining and when you start catching them they come easier but than sometimes there are slumps and you start asking yourself if there are even any steelhead left.

Anyway, a warning.

It is better to prepare yourself for endless numbers of days of not hooking a steelhead.

The guides make it look easy BTW, but they are out almost every day and have located the fish, that is HUGE advantage.
  5. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Where the hell did that come from?

Don't take offense to Jason's social impotences. We are, after all, talking about a steelhead guru that thought the eastside of the cascades had year-round steelhead runs. :thumb:

Get out and have fun... you are lucky to have any summer fish.
  6. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham

Just go look at his threads in the general forum.

I am just letting him know it is TOUGH.

I ain't trying to be a prick.

We all want to hook metalheads.

Easier said than done so you are absolutely right about "just go out and have fun."
  7. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    You know what Pan.

You are a dick.

I never once claimed to be a steelhead guru.

I never once said I have fished for steelhead where you are.

I was only going off of what YOU and other eastsiders have led me to believe with your thousands of hatchery brat pics from seemingly every month out of the year.

Seriously, you are a DICK and you put words in other peoples mouths and than act high and mighty.

Quit bringing so much bullshit to the table.

I am just trying to let this guy down easy by letting him know it tough as shit to hook those fish.

I can't even believe you have that Jerry Garcia pic in your avatar.....just seems to clash with all the outright verbal abuse you bring to the table around here.

You do realize who Jerry Garcia is right? And what he stood for?

It wasn't being a dick like you are 80% of the time.
  8. Panhandle Active Member

Blah...blah...blah.
  9. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Oh and by the way Pan, I don't think there is a single person on this site that is as profoundly dumb as to call themselves a steelhead guru.

Also, I wouldn't be so hard on you if it weren't for the fact that everything you ever say to me or about what I have said wasn't totally attacking my credibility or my character.

In fact every interaction I see between you and others is pretty much the same way.

Instead of attacking someone, bring something to the table.
  10. Panhandle Active Member

Everything you post has an egotistical agenda/motive. The sad part is I don't think you even realize it.

Let's just drop it-- I'm not going to stop being my cyberself and you can't stop being you. :)
  11. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    A hippie who believed his coke should be cut with butter? Sorry I grew up in the bay area and I have no patience with dead heads... "Shut Up! I don't care if you have a log book with every song they played at every one of the 300 freakin' shows you went to!":beathead:
  12. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,776 / 0
    Garcia was a drug addict who died early because of it.
  13. Panhandle Active Member

Yep, Garcia was an ass hole, loser.:thumb::rofl:

I'm a serious Deadhead for the music and music only. I can't stand hippies or hippy mentality-- so don't hold me to their Pollyanna view of the world. You know, not all Deadheads have dreadlocks and drive Volks buses with peace stickers on them. Some of us actually have jobs and think conservatively...... go figure huh?

The greatest live band ever, period!!!!
  14. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +412 / 0
    lets all just agree that he was a successful musician that exhibited poor personal self control :thumb:

..only saw the dead twice..my dad let me skip school to go see em' both times too!
  15. jcalderon Member

A JUNGLE NEAR YOU
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +555 / 0
    Nothing like calling someone a steelhead virgin to get the old hackles up! Steelheading is hard, no question. Posssibly the same point could have been made without calling the dude a virgin though.

What did Jerry stand for? Heroin and hot dogs. I do love that band.

Just another short haired hippie sox fan,
    cds
  17. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Considering your avatar, you make zero sense Pan.

You are one annoying puppy.

Catch any summer-runs lately?

I never called the guy a virgin what-so-ever.

I asked him if he has caught steelhead around here. As in on the Stilly, the Sky, and the Snoq. He has been inquiring about those rivers on the general forum.

I thought maybe he was one of those Great Lakes fly fishermen transplants or something like that.

I got the sense he doesn't realize how most of the steelhead craze in this area is fueled by memories from 20+ years ago. Not that I would know from personal experience so don't attack me about that now.......I mean Pan, you could call me young and stupid or something, better get on that.
  18. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +555 / 0
    My question is this: how many steelhead have you caught around here?

By the looks of your language I suspect it is zero. -JB

In my book, that's calling him out as a virgin. I will cede the point that you never actually used the word virgin. For shits and giggles change steelhead to women and caught to laid and you'll see the analogy I was making.

I am one of those great lakes flyfisherman transplants. I foud that the fishing here was tough, after some initial success. The learning curve is steep, but I'd rather catch no fish swinging than some fish with the old chuck and duck.

Lester,
    cds
  19. Panhandle Active Member

I was being contrary Jason... I have the upmost respect for my favorite musician, regardless of his lifestyle. you aren't the most perceptive person are you?

You've got to remember people, most people wouldn't like these low energy interactions. Jason thrives on them. Any attention is better than non for some people.

I'm annoying?? talk about calling the kettle black.:rofl::rofl:
  20. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    That is fine Pan, makes sense to me.

Once again you have to be a dick.....You always have to say something condescending like this every time you disagree or don't like what others post.

It is usually in the form of a question as if it isn't really all that insulting.

Whatever dude the only time this shit goes down is when YOU are involved.

I have had countless quality, insightful, interesting, interactions with the people on this site, all positive except with you. Others would say the same.

Hey man you started it when you insulted me. You could have just said "stop being a wanker" or something along those lines but you had to be straight up insulting. You had go to character attacks, you always do.

Why not disagree, make your point, and keep it in the context rather than go after people personally?

In these types of threads you always straight insult people, they react, and than you act like you have the higher ground.

You area a troll Pan, I never argue with anyone on here except you and it is usually to call you a dick after you have insulted me and I know other users have the same experiences.

Remember when you posted this:

That is what started this shitfest. You know if you make a post like that about anyone that you will not get a favorable reaction, you are a troll so stop trying to act like you aren't.