spey water?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by the_trout_bum, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    It will be all right dude.
  2. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Until next time than Pan. :beathead:

The next time you talk shit and than act like you never said anything.

Peace, until than.
  3. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0

Yeah... Right... seen them... Also seen Parliament in their heyday. A couple Alice Cooper full on stage productions in the 70s, and the Allman Brothers, Dave Matthews Band... Joe Jackson... Man, I can of so many folks who were so much better live... I actually have nothing against the dead, and hung out with Bob Weir a couple times on Mt. Tamalpais. He was just another dude in bike shorts reading the paper or eating a veggie burrito on top of the mountain after riding his bike up there. But the Dead Heads... Man...
  4. Panhandle Active Member

Gotta love opinions...everyone has one---that's cool. I will agree with you on the stereotypical Deadhead though.
  5. Will Atlas Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    wow, total hijack. On the actual subject, there are a fair number of steelhead in all the S Rivers right now. I'm not going to disclose locations because I've spent alot of time learning the water I fish so I'm not going to spread it all over the internet. Bottom line, do some exploring, fish hard and well and you can expect to hook some fish. I would say right now, a competent angler can expect average about a grab per day (full, hard day) of fishing. I've been fishing a type VI with marabous that I would fish in winter as most of the rivers are carrying a fair bit of color at the moment. The fish are fresh, and aggressive so get after it. It is hard, but if jason is fishing 100 days for 4 hookups he's probably doing something wrong even in the worst of seasons.

Will
  6. musashi Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    wow, is the joke on us... the sequence of exchange between jason b and panhandler sounds like two boys fighting over a popiscle stick...

I was waiting for the 'just kidding' explanation.
  7. Panhandle Active Member

Just kidding. :D
  8. the_trout_bum ifish

Ellensburg, WA
    jason-

if you have been reading my recent posts then you shoud have learned that i have a new spey setup, and being new to the spey casting world, i wanted to "catch a few" with my new toy. and to clarify, i live in kirkland, so fishing the sky or snoqualmie is do-able for me to head off to and fish after work. for the most part, ill fish the methow or cascade for my steelhead, smaller rivers and decent access, the "big water" scene is newer to me, and have only been fishing this far west in the past couple of years.

and this summer? 2 summer runs both natives, but not on the spey, jsut on a 9 foot 6/7 wt. throwing a big ugly moal leech. and last winter was tough everywhere, but i did manage 6 steelhead over the course of the winter, 4 natives and 2 hatchery.

ive never fished the n. fork stilly for steelhead, but have spent many a days fishing trout water up in that area, but with the flows as high as they are, these areas aren't deemed as real nice steely water, so i was doing some research as to where to go in reagrds to high summer flows.

so far from virgin there cheif, and i really didnt appreciate the disrespectful comments.

and the easy "let down", very unnecessary. i am also very aware that steelhead fishing is far from "productive". on average i spent about 150-200 hours per fish last winter, so im fully concious of the slums and fish-less days.

so don't be so quick to judge next time please.

best regards,

the trout bum
  9. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
  10. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Getting back to the thread. In general with a 2 handed rod you should be able to fish any run anywhere, anytime. The initial intent of the 2 handed rods were to be able to effectively fish high sided banks. Later, techniques were improved/invented to make casting distances more efficient.

The lesson I learned this winter is that quite a bit of *effective* 2 handed fishing will occur with nothing more than a 15-20 of line outside the tip. The basic jist of it is to look for those little honey hidy holes that have provide enough sanctuary for a single fish. While one could fish those with a single handed rod, I found the line control from the bigger stick to be the single greatest advantage I never used. Overall I tended to overlook the smaller water in favor finding "big water". So for instance, you could actually fish high sided rip rap (with favorable water flows) easily and effectively.

As for good water, the run above the Sultan bridge while crowded is a reasonable run to do both spey casting and maybe have the chance to catch a fish.
  11. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Damn, was that swinging? I had my A$$ handed to me last year. Six would have been sick!
  12. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham

Sounds great man! I wasn't trying to judge at all, I never said you were anything bad or anything.......

I figured you were a greenhorne expecting to "catch a few" is all.

I def. fish a lot like yourself and you are doing a lot better than me so......Sounds like you know your stuff.

Really sorry for the misunderstanding. Words tend to sound a lot harsher in print than they do in person. :clown:
  13. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Gee thanks! :beathead:

Also, that was 4 fish to hand, not hookups.

I don't go after hatchery fish, I don't nymph, and I don't like crowds.

Oh, and I don't lie about my steelhead numbers like 90% of the fishermen out there. ;)
  14. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0

I know my shit and remove home field advantage and I wager I'd at least keep up with just about anyone here. But I have two small kids and I'm the primary caregiver. there's something called "Fishing when you can" as opposed to "Fishing when it's good". When you're fishing Sat and Sun, from legal sunrise to 8:00 to be back for breakfast (I live close), regardless of temps, water heigth, fish in the river:clown: I'd take 4 fish for 100 trips:D
  15. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Oh yeah, I pretty much only fish weekends as well.
  16. hookedonthefly Active Member

Ratings: +121 / 0
    Or, he's fishing the Nooksack.

Ed
  17. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +541 / 0
    Good point Ed. If you fish the Nooksack then you should never be ridiculed or questioned for poor catch rates. Between the sledders, poachers and horrible returns it is a wonder that flyfishermen ever catch fish at all. I have spent hundreds of hours not catching fish there. I have a better chance scoring with a supermodel than hooking a steelhead in the Nooksack, and I am married, portly, and generally unattractive.

Now the trout bum caught six fish last winter. He probably caught more than all Nookie flyfishermen combined. Good work trout bum! Keep working the same water. It seems to be working.

Masterson today,
    cds
  18. hookedonthefly Active Member

Ratings: +121 / 0
    You forgot the Tribal fishery and the rampant habitat destruction, especially on the South Fork.bawling:

Me too but I love that river. We did the Class III's :eek::D:beer1:eek:n the North Fork last weekend...man, that is one killer section of the river...never ceases to amaze me.

You crack me up...now that's funny.

See you out there.

Ed
  19. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,747 / 0
    James,

I was only able to fish one day this past winter because of personal & work reasons, but back to what I was going to say; I hooked 2 steelhead and landed one along with a couple of dollies. By far the best season I ever had on the Skagit considering the hours fished to fish hooked ratio. Hope I can keep it going in the 09 winter season.:clown:
  20. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Damn KerryS!!! I will show you those Nooksack spots if you can show me some of your Skagit spots.