Speyclave in BC

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by speyghillie, Jan 10, 2006.

1. speyghillie speyghillie

River Spey Scotland
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    Hi Guys,
    I was thinking of having a speyclave in BC at the end of Oct 2006, i wondered if there was the demand and if anybody is interested, i have already spoken to two buddies of mine and they are up for it, Scott mackenzie and Gordon Armstrong, they are the number one and two distance casters in the world, if fact Scott has not been beaten anywhere in the world for the last three yrs.
    I hope to have some other guys involved, but this in no way is a speyclave all about distance casting, as Gordon Armstrong works with carron, Scott with Diawa uk, and myself with Clan rods ,it would give everybody a chance to try out the most popular rods and lines in the uk, hope to have all styles of casting covered, with some great casters, but most of all it would be good fun .
    Cheers Gordon (speyghillie).::beer2: ptyd
  2. Bob Triggs STOP KILLING WILD STEELHEAD!!!!

Ratings: +529 / 0
    Yes!

And next summer you can put it up on the Events Forum here as well. If you put it up now you will have to bump it up to the top too many times to count.

Keep us posted! :thumb:
  3. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    depending on where you choose to hold such an event, i could be up for it. having attended many of these, perhaps i can share my pet peeves:

- awsome casters who have no clue about passing along their knowledge to others is not a good thing, fun to watch but not worth the travel time.
    - spey casting instructors are way more important to me than hitting the opposite bank.
    - i find it quite distracting to listen to two presentors executing the exact same cast describe what they are doing in two totally opposite ways. you might choose to screen your presentors to insure that they can present consistent, linked information.
    - sharing FISHING knowledge to underscore why we are making specific casts in specific ways is the most important item which seems to be missing from the various clavs i have attended. i enjoy fishing way more than casting.
    - limit the number of folks instructing and give them lots of time to repeat, repeat, repeat and answer question after question.
  4. SPEYBUM Member

CARNATION, WASHINGTON, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Gorden,
    I will be holding my Speyfair on the Last week end of October 28th an 29th and you are more than welcome to join us.

Did you get the e-mails about March.

:beer2:

Aaron
  5. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    Where in B.C.? Im planning to live out of my car and be a Steelhead bum for a month up there after I get back from Alaska.
  6. speyghillie speyghillie

River Spey Scotland
    Hi Guy's,
    Fist of all , thanks for the offer Aaron i will be speaking to the Guy,s see what they want to do, sent you a PM about my trip in March, part of the reason i posted this is so i would,nt clash with another spey gathering, the other reason is that i have been trying to get Scott and Gordon Armstrong over to BC, and this was a way of making it possible at that time of year,and a way for us to have a few days fishing in BC.
    Scott and Gordon are both great instructors, fishing and speycasting is there job , on the river six days a week almost all year, so its not all distance casting and hitting the bank on the other side of the river , you would'nt be much of an instuctor if thats all you did.
    If fact Scott is also a APGAI instructor, some thing i think the FFF should look at, anyway, back to the Speyclave idea.
    Aaron , i will speak to the guy's and once again thank you for your offer, and hopefully see you soon.
    Gordon (speyghillie.)
  7. Jim Kerr Active Member

Forks Wa
    Ratings: +119 / 0
    I have never been to a Spey-Clave, or like event. And I think I would like to go. Its real hard for me to get away in Oct but if I had the dates well in advance I might be able to pull it off. Also I might have to hide in some ones trunk for the border crossing, not sure the Canadians will want me back after.....Anyway, count me in.
    Jim
  8. Prettyfly lurker at large

Okanogan
    Hi Speyghillie

Are you going to have any ladies doing demos? I've been reading about the First Lady of Fly Fishing from over yonder um.. Amy Champion I think her name is...She's a champion caster isn't she?.. I'd be very interested to see more women being represented at these claves... I bet you'd get more women out then men...lol What a shock and awe that would be to see a woman demonstrating at a Spey Clave.. is that even heard of around here?

I'll volunteer, I'll.. do the typing, I'll ... um... I don't know what else I'll do but if it's reasonable .. I'll do it.. LOL
  9. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Deleted

Deleted
  10. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    I don't know if it's heard of around but I think it is a great idea. I am hoping to make it happen on the Clearwater in Idaho Sept 23, 2006.
  11. speyghillie speyghillie

River Spey Scotland
    Hi Prettyfly,
    Yes its true i am trying to get Gary and his wife to come over to do a demo at the BC spey gathering, spoke to Gary , will have an answer in a week or so, and your right she is one of only two women to have passed her APGAI instuctors course, i did a demo at the grand river, thats where i met Gary .
    Like i said its eary days, but already i have some of the best casters in the world wanting me to get on with it, would relly love to have Gary and his misses come to, then everybody would see her casting , and believe me she can cast, its just a question of where ,when and holly how do i fund this.
    I want this to be something different, and all the guys agree, if it goes ahead,the guys will do there demo,s in the morning and one each in the afternoon, then the rest of the day we will all be available to help out anybody with there casting , set up anything like that.
    I also hope to have a couple of guys from the river Spey, that will be available all day to help any beginners getting into speycasting, teach the basics.
    And all this for free.............. OH SOME ONE SHOOT ME.
    Gordon
    Speyghillie.
  12. Prettyfly lurker at large

Okanogan
    Hey... have I been reading these forums right?

Speybum is having a gathering the same weekend? Why? Wasn't that one the 21st of Oct last year? What's with the change in weekends?

If it means not having to drive 8 or more hours (depending on traffic) I'd rather just go to Vancouver or somewhere more local to my location.

Besides, I'm really interested in checking out these scottish boys. I've seen pictures.. they're cute.. HAHAHA :p but really it's about their style I want to learn... :D

Keep planning for BC please :beer2: you get better alcohol content for your beers here anyway LOL
  13. speyghillie speyghillie

River Spey Scotland
    Hey Prettyfly,
    I am going to move the BC speyclave to the 21st-22nd of October, so that it does'nt clash with the speyclave Aaron has on that date, not so sure about all being cute, but we do know a thing or two about Speycasting.... thats what we all do for a living, working on the Rivers of Scotland.
    I had to speak to a couple of the guy's and the sponsors, to see if the change of date was going to be a problem, but its ok.
    So will be able to give full details in a week or so.
    I will still have the number one and two in the world coming over to do demo's, both Scott and Gordon are busy on the river Ness til the 15th of Oct, but they will be there, also got a couple of guy's from the river Spey, just waiting for some people to get back to me, but should have a world class line up of demonstrators.
    Gordon (speyghillie).:cool:
  14. mdjm66 Member

Cloverdale, BC
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I am really interested in checking this out, seeing as it will be in my backyard I will attend.
  15. Bob Triggs STOP KILLING WILD STEELHEAD!!!!

Ratings: +529 / 0
    I think it really shows some class that you made sure not to interfere with the Speyfair at Aaron Reimer's River Run Anglers Oct 28th and 29th.iagree
  16. speyghillie speyghillie

River Spey Scotland
    Thanks Bob,
    Thats exactly why i changed the dates to Oct 21st-22nd, had to go back and speak to some of the guy's as they all work on the river til the 15th of Oct, so they will have to get finished up on the river quick and get to the airport, or its a hell of a canoe trip.
    I am sure Aaron's clave will be BRILLIANT, as i know how much he puts into speycasting and i am sure it will be well worth everybody going to.
    Cheers Gordon.
  17. FlyShopKristin Going Online

Monroe, Wa, USA.
    Demos are great, but we need to get more women on the water too. Aaron had a women's division last year in his casting competition. Prettyfly - you need to attend this year!!!
  18. Prettyfly lurker at large

Okanogan
    Well watching a woman demonstrate her champion casting abilities is one thing. Participating in a competition is another.

Needless to say I have from now until then to lift weights and bulk up to 'huck a line' as far as I can.. LOL :clown:

But I'm all about the :beer2: and the ptyd and I hear it helps steady ones arm and makes for better casts.. LOL I might get good enough... after 6.. it works for my dancing abilities and singing abilities..LOL
  19. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    i still have not found a location posted. has this been selected??
  20. speyghillie speyghillie

River Spey Scotland
    Hi gt,
    I will be over in BC in three weeks looking for a location, i was thinking of around Chilliwack, but if anyboby has any locations please let me know and i will check it out, got to meet up with a couple of guy's that have done a few speyclaves in BC, so they will be able to help me out i hope.
    Cheers Gordon.
    P.S. not spending all three weeks looking for a location, got to go see speyman, he owes me a beer and it will be my birthday.:beer2:
    Cheers Gordon (speyghillie)