Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Speyco Fiberglass Spey

Fiberglass 
2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Have talk to Tim about them but haven't tried one. I found a switch blank from the 70's or 80's that is part or all fiberglass. The builder isn't sure if it is all glass. It was found it the back of a shop and got 8 blanks. I found out about them from another site. It will be a 11' 7wt rod. It is being built right now, should have it in a couple of weeks. Can't wait.

#5 ·
Can't answer that directly as the make up of the handle/etc., could vary same by an ounce (or more?). But if John and I are talking about 'Apples and Apples' I have the first of the 'switch rods' built out of that blank. It is fibre glass through and through and it's 'casting style' is almost a mirror image of Bamboo. Line that came with mine was a bit over 300 grains, and it's very much on the light side for this 'stick.' Threaded on a 420 grain Scandi and the thing casts like a bullet coming out of a rifle barrel.

BUT, and here's a big BUT, the action of this rod is waaaaaay different that any carbon fiber 2-hander you'll ever cast. Most 2-handers I can pick up and a half dozen casts or so have the rod/line somewhat 'dialed in.' Not this Puppy! Took me darned near a half hour before I had a A HA!

There are several 'styles' of two handed casting and this rod 'demands' the 'under-hand' type of work. Arms/elbows in close and most of the cast work done by the lower hand/top hand is more of a 'fulcrum' rather than the one that puts the power to the cast. That aside, a treat to cast ... and Baby had her first "Fish On" last week.

Pity it only lasted a few seconds before the #8 hook pulled out.

Fred

#7 ·
EXCELLENT! The line Steve sent me was (memory here) 320 grains-31 foot and it will work ... just barely. Loaded on a 420 grain/31' Scandi (RIO?) and 9' leader/ heavy fly and ZOOM! Was fishing a current seam 75-80 foot off the bank and when the leader/head/shooting line came to a stop against the SpeyCo reel it actually still had enough force going to pull a few inches of line off the reel.

Now that's a cool thing; had to 'mellow out' my casting stroke.

Don't wait for summer, this Puppy will handle a good sized Winter Run.
Fred

Edit: Mojo, if the action of that rod (sounds a tad shorter than the blanks Steve got his hands on (very similar story I might add) you'll love the rod. It has ... what's the word? ... Ah! ... MOJO.
:>)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.