Speydicator vs Switch vs Switch Chucker

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by tkww, Oct 7, 2013.

1. tkww Member

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 2
    Anybody have any experiences or knowledge with regards to these three lines (particularly in comparison to each other)? Thinking about putting one on an 6 wt switch rod. I am aware that they're not considered to be great casting lines or swinging lines, but any other finer points of observation?
  2. Kirk Estlick Active Member

Mesa, AZ
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    What's the application your looking to use the switch rod for? I just fished all 3 back to back to back this weekend. They all have their place it just depends on what you're looking at doing with the rod.

Speydicator: okay at everything (swinging or nymphing)

Switch: just a good indicator line. Roll casts and mends great. Not great with a T Tip and streamer for swinging.

Switch Chucker: awesome swinging line, not so great at indicator fishing.

All these lines are geared towards beginner two handed fisherman. I prefer the standard switch line since my switch rod is a trout indicator rod. This is all my opinion of course so take it for what it's worth.
    tkww likes this.
  3. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    i use the switch line as an indicator line only, it sucks otherwise
    tkww likes this.
  4. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +307 / 0

This is pretty spot on, except I wouldn't say the chucker is "awesome"...just okay.

If you want to swing and throw junk, do yourself the favor and get two spools. One with a Switch line for bobber chucking and one with a true swinging line.
    tkww likes this.
  5. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +466 / 1
    The switch line is great for bobber fishing. My only complaint is the head is too short. Make a long cast upstream (head is 55' if I remember) and once the running line is out of the guides it's really tough to get the upstream flip to set your drift which drives me crazy in some situations. If that sounds like a problem for your rivers or style of nymphing consider a rio powerspey if you can find one or the replacement (can't think of the name right now). Amazing bobber line on a switch or Spey rod.
    tkww likes this.
  6. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Ratings: +56 / 0

Ok Luke, I'll bite. What do you consider a "True Swinging line"?
  7. tkww Member

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 2
    Thank you all for the replies.

My primary intention is indicator fishing; I've been warned these lines aren't great for swinging and another spool/line is much preferred for that. I'm not likely to need much in the way to T-tips, though some mild sinking options wouldn't be a bad thing. Again, probably set them up on another line/spool.
  8. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    chucker is maybe best suited for strippng streamers. shortest head means easiest to roll head back out after stripping to the tip. also casting from the forest easier withthe short head. bobbers and beads best on a snoopy pole :eek:
  9. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    similar to ambush if i remember correctly.
  10. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0

That's cool to hear. I was thinking of getting a "normal" spey line so I could use the long back taper to mend when indicating on longer casts. While 80% of my nymphing is in water you can almost jump across, a longer belly spey would let me nymph bigger waters, if I wanted to. I might never do it, but I probably need more spools of line on the shelf anyway :p

Sorry for the hijack.