Speying off a cliff

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Paul Huffman, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Last Spring, I took my spey rod to fish for shad on the mid Columbia for a little practice with the casts and sink tips. But I ran into a problem that I haven't seen covered by any book or video. On some of this bank, I was up on a cliff about 6 feet off the water, so it was a weird place for a spey. I could lift the fly line well from up there, but it was tricky to angle a spey out into the river without bashing the fly into the cliff face below me. Other places along this bank I was closer to the water but it was too deep to wade into, leaving little space for any water anchor. I could perry poke a bit along this bank, but had to be carefull not to direct the loop into low lying brush along the bank. I cast overhead with the two hander for a while, but I was glad to revert to my single handed rod. With a full sinking shooting head and amnesia running line, I could cast as far with less effort, shoot the backcast over low lying brush, get the fly deeper, and strip the line in and shoot it out easier.

What do you do in this situation?

2. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    roll cast